• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

To me both Recsea and Nauticam housings seem attractive alternatives for Sony RX100.

You who have experience from the housings, what do you find to be pros and cons with compact housings from these manufacuturers?

To me, Recsea's larger front control-ring seems to be theoretically better than the knob on Nauticam, but that may not be an advantage in real life?

The Nauticam housing has a 67mm thread, but what thread does the Recsea housing have?

Posted ImagePosted Image

Cheers
Oskar

http://www.deepshots...compact-camera/

http://www.bluewater...erwater-housing

#2 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

Our housing has just been announced and will start shipping at the end of this month.

http://wetpixel.com/...the-sony-rx100/
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#3 kmcbrid2

kmcbrid2

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

pretty good discussion over in dpreview. http://forums.dprevi...essage=42164820

im interested in if the nauticam has a good half press triger like the recsea. hopefully scott with bw photo will be able to provide an unbais review of both housings but im guessing you canr go wrong with either selection.

#4 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:16 AM

Thanks for pointing that thread out! (I think I will cross post this actually.)

I'm looking to use this camera in my cold & dark home-waters, so I'll be diving it with dry-gloves most of the time. Therefore the important of decent ergonomics also with gloves.

Half press trigger sounds like an excellent thing, (if Nauticam supports that too.)

Also the knobs like the front ring should be decent, and that's where my impression from the product photos made me think that Recsea's large front-ring would be great. the rear dial is of course an issue. How well is the Nauticam front knob operated on comparable housings?

Even when I'm diving with a dual strobe set-up, I tend to only hold the left handle with left hand and hold/operate the camera with my right hand (not the handle).

Any other comments on ergonomics with gloves?

Cheers
/O

#5 kmcbrid2

kmcbrid2

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

just thought i would try and get this string started again as both housings have been out and maybewe would have aside by side review of both housings by now.

any news of other housing being released soon?

#6 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1274 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Have not dove the the Nauticam housing but have experimented with it on dry land a fair amount. Like all Nauticam housings everything works great, really like the front control wheel, smooth one-finger control. I found I like the Sony's "head-up" screen display when in Manual and adjusting SS or Ap. Buttons work great and cold water, glove wearing, divers will appreciate their layout. With heavy gloves I would probably go with two handles but tropical divers will be able to shoot it with one handle. You will just drop the camera in and go, another quality product combined with what looks like the class leading camera.

Edited by NWDiver, 15 September 2012 - 06:12 AM.

#7 scuba_d

scuba_d

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:photography

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Price difference £200 in favor of the Nauticam housing in UK.
I am really curios who will be tempted by the Recsea offering, at least here in England.