• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

Is thera an adapter available that allows you to use a Sea & sea wet-lens on a housing with a standard 67mm thread?

Or has anyone here made an adapter or modified a S&S lens to fit a 67mm thread?

Cheers
/O

#2 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Well, I'm not sure this is the right forum for these questions, but it would be good to understand mor about the thory of wet lenses.

This lens is intended for (does not vignette) 24mm eqv at at least f2.5.

The measurements are
inner lens diameter 42mm
inner overall diameter 64mm

outer lens diameter 83mm
outer overall diameter 98mm

The question is if this is likely to work with the Sony RX100 which is 28mm eqv with max f1.8?

My thoughts are that it will not be quite as wide as when used with 24mm eqv, but it has a chance to work give the large diameter (42mm) inner lens.

My idea is to remove the S&S bayonet that is fastened with 6 small screws and replace it with a 67-52 step-down filter ring on which i drill holes for the screws. (inner screw to screw diameter 55mm)

Like this:Posted Image

Cheers
/O

#3 Jock

Jock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

Oskar,

is this what you are looking for? It has a 67mm thread.

Bought it some years ago on ebay for a Euro or two...

Last pic is an example from the Red Sea, Olympus SP350 housing with an old 3x macro lens from the Motormarine system. The housing has a 46mm thread, so I used a step-down filterring 67-46mm.

I tried to use it with the MM wide angle lenses, but it was vignetting too much. I found another solution for this: A "Subawider III" lens which is a wet adapter for the Nikonos V 35 lens. It has a thread as opposed to the Subawider II (push-on); Sea&Sea also has made such a threaded adapter for the NikV 35mm. Both have a 0.5 magnification (35mm to 17.5mm).

Every now and then you can find them on ebay.

Greetings,
Jock

Attached Images

• adapter_1.jpg
  • adapter_2.jpg
  • adapter_3.jpg

Edited by Jock, 26 August 2012 - 12:57 AM.

---
http://www.dive-images.de
---

Olympus OM-D EM5, Inon Z240 and Nikonos RS, Ikelite SS200

#4 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

Interesting, but I think I need to have something with very low profile so that the lens get as close as possible to the port.

My idea is to unscrew the S&S standard plastic bayonette fitting and put a DYI 67mm treding there.

It is this lens: http://www.seaandsea.../001.html#52116

Posted Image

My crux is, will it work with the Nauticam/Sony RX100 combo without problems? (i.e. vignetting soft corners)

The budget for an intermediate upgrade turns out quite different If I dont need to factor in a $500 WA lens in the upgrade. For my photography WA lens is absolutely mandatory and I rather saty with an outdated camera than live without a UWA on a state-of-the-art camera

Cheers
/O

#5 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Could someone please measure the diameter of the rear lens element of a UWL-100 28M67?

I know this lens works well without vignetting, and I think that my lens has the same or larger rear lens diameter. So I expect it to work, if not as wide.

Cheers
/O

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wet lens, sea & sea, bayonet, 67mm thread, adapter