Photo
- - - - -

Has Discovery's Shark Week (and Guerney) finally listened to the negative feedback?

shark week discovery channel guerney productions conservation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10632 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Shark Week 2012 started on Aug 12th, and judging from the first few programs I fast forwarded through, I get the feeling there may be a transition in Discovery's programming in response to the protests that have been directed at them over the last few years.
A little background first, there has been quite a bit of controversy in Discovery's programs before, like the "How Sharks Hunt" and the Les Stroud programs did not push the shark conservation agenda.
However, this year seems to be starting out well.
In Myth Busters Jawsome special, there was a direct mention of shark conservation at the end of the show, making it the top myth that has yet to be broken in the minds of the public. Yes, the program went through all the bad stuff from the years before. However, making shark conservation the top priority is significant progress for such a popular program.
While the other programs didn't exactly push the shark protection agenda, I felt there wasn't the same sharks are mindless monsters nonsense of yesteryears or worse, silly experiments that may affect the sharks.

More encouragingly, there are programs specifically built on the conservation message so lacking in the last 24 years of Shark Week.
Most significantly, Shark Fight will show how shark attacks occurred but also includes how shark attack survivors change from hating sharks to helping protect sharks, which will be hopefully a positive effect on how viewers see the tragedy of any shark incident.
Hopefully, this trend will continue for years to come. Once the week ends, I think if the rest of the programs continue this trend, letters of encouragement and support should be sent to help Discovery "see the light!"

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 cjs_777

cjs_777

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Underwater Photography of course! :P

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:30 AM

Hi Drew,

I haven't seen any of the Shark week programs, but I know that programs regularly go for the "shock treatment," scaring the audience by making sharks out to be swimming eating machines...

Let's hope that more programs see the light and show sharks for the amazing creatures that they really are! :)

#3 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

My anti Shark Week film will premiere at the San Diego Undersea Film Exhibition October 5 and 6. I'll post it on YouTube after that, and announce it here.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#4 ajcphoto

ajcphoto

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

Nice to hear that things are changing a bit. I have hated shark week for as long as it has existed.

#5 donga

donga

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

Where can you buy Shark week series in Australia?
Canon HD HF 10 Camcorder
Custom Point & Shoot Aluminium Deep Sea Housing/Bubble Lense/No controls
Single Tray/Dual arms long & short bendable/Led Torch.