• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

OK; so I'm really ready to spring for this iPhone based dive computer. Anybody have one?
http://www.igills.com
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

This evolution was bound to happen I like to hear your review soon .-)

I think this shows a couple of interesting trends:

* Smartphone cameras will eventually kill all, but the very top segment of compact cameras.
* As more cameras get a touch screen interface, we will get housings with built in electronics and controls

#3 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2292 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Can you get wide angle and fisheye adaptors for it? I recently got the iPro Lens kit for my iPhone and it really enhances the usefulness of the phone camera.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Personally I would rather keep my wrist mounted dive computer and regular camera. I don't see the need to potentially trash my phone by taking it underwater.

I never log my dives or transfer data from my dive computer so having my dive data stored on my phone is of little interest. I can't see me pulling out my phone and showing off my dive profile to my friends at the bar.

This seems like a complete gimmick to me that isn't needed and shouldn't be taken seriously. All your phone is doing is displaying data, an iphone is not exactly the cheapest display screen in the world. It's also not as convenient as my current dive computer, but i am sure there will be a wrist strap accessory for sale. Oh and perhaps they will also sell add on filters and lenses. The images and video will more than likely still be less than brilliant with such a tiny lens.

Call me a cynic, but i don't see this as a good idea or a needed product.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 JKrumsick

JKrumsick

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Philosophy, various libations, light hearted debauchery, Chromatophores and the occasional tupperware party.

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

The images and video will more than likely still be less than brilliant with such a tiny lens.

Call me a cynic, but i don't see this as a good idea or a needed product.

You have some points there. But with the smaller lens - just look at some of the gopro videos... that's a pretty tiny lens!

Also, I like the idea that if I get lost at sea I can use it to make an emergency call. That's one function I think is really nice (even though admittedly you won't get phone reception at every dive spot, this could be a potential life saver).

Anyone get one?

#6 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I had one to try but my wife wouldn't let me use her iPhone in it.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?