• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba_kiwi

Scuba_kiwi

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 05:03 AM

I Took this shot in Vanuatu on a recent holiday, I think the shot has potential ... I like it, but I haven't been able to edit it in anyway that I'm actually really happy with yet, to see the best I've come up with click HERE in the meantime this is as big as the forum restrictions will allow me to post it so suggestions on how to improve it (if possible) will be appreciated, I think the overexposed sunbeam is just too much to overcome but would like suggestions anyway, the image I have posted here is unedited, the image in the link has had some colour correction, sharpening and backscatter removal done in photoshop 7

Posted Image

#2 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 February 2004 - 11:50 AM

Scuba_kiwi:

What was the f-stop and shutter speed?

Was the diver acting as a model, i.e. you could choose the pose and location of the diver, or was it a snapshot with no setup / planning?

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8374 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 01:25 AM

Your edited version without the backscatter is a big improvement. I do like the ambient lighting of this shot. Atmospheric and will appeal to divers because it looks real.
I don't mind the model looking into the picture and away from the camera. But the image would be improved if she was looking at something - or more obviously into the cave. So that the image was telling more of a story e.g. "diver thinking about going into dark cave".
More minor points are that I would prefer it if she were not holding on the rock and if her fins were entirely in the frame.
I find the bubbles a bit distracting too. Typical digicam problems with highlights!

You should post your cleaned version too.
Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 25 February 2004 - 07:19 PM

Posted Image

this is the Cathy Church signature shot

I have never seen this shot with a diver in the image. I figured it was due to either having to light the cavern up which ruins the shot, or you have to position for a silhouette which also ruins the shot and makes it too dark hence meaning you dont get the beams of light.

Im not saying a good diver in a cavern shot isnt possible, but at that angle it has to be very hard to get the lighting right and make the diver seem like the subject.

I have tried a few times and the nicest results I have had have been with wb adjustments and also a red filter donated off alex mustard, the only problem was ... with a diver you still need to add light.

maybe a small very controlled strobe on the diver opn minimal settings with the camera adjusted for the light beams would pull it off, but cavern shots are always really hard in my opinion.
me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 Scuba_kiwi

Scuba_kiwi

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 09:14 PM

The Image was a snap shot and unplanned, this particular "model" has a tolerance for posing which is shorter than a goldfishes memory span! you should see the shots of her I have "posing" behind a Gorgonian at 42m ... she's watching her computer for deco info! :roll: I'll post the version of the cave shot that I settled on in the end

Posted Image