Photo
- - - - -

Magic Lantern v2.3 for Canon DSLR adds great features!

magic lantern hack firmware canon intervalometer timelapse

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:46 PM

Yeh 1.7 is pretty good.
If I go CBR 1.3 it kind of stops.
Used a nice SD Scandisk card too.
It also has trouble playing back the file at those rates in the camera but is fine once on the computer.
Maybe the 7D and 5D can because of its dual processor thingy.

The other thing I was messing around with is shooting at 4fps with Magic Lantern.
Its like a real quick way of making a 1920/1080 timelapse video instead of images.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#22 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

Yes. except I like the ability to pan within the shot. Although the HDR mode @ 3fps seems a good way to go. The D800 timelapse video mode is really nice. Just focus, get your settings (or shoot in program mode), punch in the time required and the camera takes care of everything else. I was doing timelapse with the 5D3 and D800 in Africa, not even funny except the D800 throws out the files.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#23 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:59 AM

Drew- I've also just been playing around with ML2.3 on the 5DII. Do you find CBR at 1.7x makes a noticeable difference to quality and 'gradeability' in post? I might go out and run some tests myself, but interested to hear what others have found? I guess it could make a difference underwater especially with those water gradations.
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#24 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

Go and shoot a flat solid tone surface like a lit up wall and move the camera around on it.
Then watch the footage on a big screen. Enjoy the compression banding. The lower the compression of the H.264 codec the better results so if you can shooot at CBR 1.7 its going to help lots.
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#25 Ferg42

Ferg42

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Cheers Wagsy, I'll give it a go! Stuck at home recovering from a burst appendix, so haven't got much to film but walls!
EOS 7D, Nauticam housing, EOS 5D II, Ikelite, Inon z240, Inon D180, Tok 10-17, 15 FE, 17-40, 105 Macro
Sony HC7, Gates Housing
Visit My Website

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10647 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:39 AM

Fergus, I didn't get to test ML v2.3 underwater as I left my housing in South Africa. Theoretically it should help a bit with banding but it's not going to be a miracle worker since it's still 8bit 420 H.264. The 2.5x was pretty impressive but you still get the aliasing and moiré, which isn't a big issue underwater.
At 1.7x, you will see the difference is probably minor details and less artifacting. It's worthwhile testing. but as I said, it's still a hack and if you want to unload it, you have to pop the card!
Sorry to hear about your health problems... here's to a speedy recovery!

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Burst appendix, gee that's not good.
Stand in front of the wall lock it off on manual, shine a light on it and then walk past the camera or stand in front of it and move around.
Then watch the lovely banding in the background from the H.264 compression algorithm at work :-)

That's pretty neat you can go that high with the 5D3, it must be the dual processor thingy.
If I record a real high one the camera cannot even play the file back and just stops.

Anyhow the bottom line is banding is there no matter and as long as you know the limitations shooting video with them works pretty good.
In fact I think I will be the owner of a Nauticam housing for mine 60D very soon :-)

#28 escape

escape

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

ML for 7D released : http://www.magiclant...-alpha-released
Still lot of function (no CBR) not include but promising.
Maybe clean HDMI output will coming too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnoHwlK3m2c&feature=share&list=UUo9NditLP0cdgnz1FaeN08Q

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magic lantern, hack, firmware, canon, intervalometer, timelapse