9 replies to this topic

#1 girelle

girelle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

Hello

I own since one month the new Olympus micro 43 that I bought after having read Alex Mustard report , but I thought about this since I rode the announcement of this new camera on Wetpixel at the beggining of 2012.
I owned before a Nikon D90, that I've already sold .. .
I'm completely satisfied of this new rig , it's easy to carry everywhere including underwater . The Nauticam housing is extremely easy and pleasant to use when preparing the camera and taking picture as well .
Here are some pics I did take with it , most of them are wrecks as the weather is really nice since one month here so we can make deep dives , and some of our very popular groupers or other fishes .All the pictures have been taken with the Panasonic 8 mm .
I've not yet try macro , some pictures only , but it seems really promising .
Hope you'll understand my poor english ..and I apologize for that
Here are the pictures .
(Some more including macro tentatives can be seen at :
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7189548@N05/sets/72157630758360172/ )

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thank for your attention , all comments are welcome !

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Very nice!
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:58 AM

Well done Domi. i hope we can get you the 12-50 port and gear very soon.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#4 PeeBee

PeeBee

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Underwater photography<br />IT<br />Cabinet making<br />Travel<br />Reading

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Lovely shots Domi :)
Give a hungry man a fish and he will eat for a day
Teach a hungry man to fish and he will buy a bad hat
Talk to a hungry man about fishing and you are a consultant.

Safe diving
71 sea dives this year ..... so far.

Pete

#5 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

Looking really great!

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#6 NWDiver

NWDiver

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1259 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

Excellent, what strobes are you using? Shooting in Manual or using TTL????

#7 girelle

girelle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Thank you so much for your kind comments !!
I 've used the whole Inon strobes family for these pictures D2000 , S2000 and now Z240.
Z 240 mainly because they allow to change the position of the magnet allowing to permute from manual to TTL .
All the pictures have been taken with flashes on manual , I'm not used to TTL and untill now I've perform mainly wide angle shots .

Edited by girelle, 18 August 2012 - 06:59 AM.

#8 Ice bear

Ice bear

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hello Sting Ray,
Thank You for sharing your great pictures!

I have recently bought the OMD EM-5 and ordered the Nauticam Housing for the 12-50mm lens with the zoom gear.

However I am doubtig about the flash. D2000 or Z-240...? Is Z240 worth the price difference comparing to D2000?
You mention you like making wide angle pics. there it is where enough light is pobably critical?

I have another question about the Under water mode of the OMD. Do you in your exprience use it? When I switch it on, I see that the camera automatically decreases in light and adjusts the flash intesity..
I would probably adjust the white balance to the 5500 Kelvin only. (The Inon flashes color temperature)

Thanks much for sharing your thoughts.

Ice bear.

#9 girelle

girelle

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

Hello

Hello Sting Ray,
Thank You for sharing your great pictures!

I have recently bought the OMD EM-5 and ordered the Nauticam Housing for the 12-50mm lens with the zoom gear.

However I am doubtig about the flash. D2000 or Z-240...? Is Z240 worth the price difference comparing to D2000?
You mention you like making wide angle pics. there it is where enough light is pobably critical?

I have another question about the Under water mode of the OMD. Do you in your exprience use it? When I switch it on, I see that the camera automatically decreases in light and adjusts the flash intesity..
I would probably adjust the white balance to the 5500 Kelvin only. (The Inon flashes color temperature)

Thanks much for sharing your thoughts.

Ice bear.

The great advantage of the Z 240 upon the D 2000 ( if I'm right ) is that tou can change underwater the position of the magnet , so you can switch from Manual mode to TTL.
At the moment I have not yet to try TTL because I do mainly ( actually ) wide angle shots .
But I was very happy with my two Inon S 2000 too when I did used them with my Canon S 90 , but probably the more powerfull Z 240 will do a better job with the OMD .

Sorry but I never use any underwater mode ..
Girelle or Dominique as you like :)

Edited by girelle, 23 August 2012 - 09:05 AM.

#10 Ice bear

Ice bear

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

Hallo Dominique,
Thanks much for your comments. The manual flash mode is indeed not a bad thing.

It will be my first time taking the OMD under the water. I took some pictures with the Olympus PEN E PL-2 and Z-240 in the past. The UW mode on that camera made quite a good job on the WB settings however the Photoshop light room 4 made the real work in the post-processing in my limmited UW photography experience.
As long as my gear will arrive I will be curious to use the WB settings in the color temperature of the flash used. I never did this so am curious if this will have a possitive effect.
To be honest I am not really sure what great advantages the UW mode brings (next to the WB).

Best Regards,
Michal