• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 chavala

chavala

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:41 PM

I thought i'd give this ancient thread a bump. We were booked on the Oriental Siren so are holding tickets to Dili already. We'd still like to go. A friend of mine was there a couple years ago and said it was all shore diving and accomodations were pretty much a couple of business hotels in downtown Dili. Has anything changed since then? Are there any small dive resorts or boats yet? I'm not finding alot of info.

#2 Rothi

Rothi

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

I thought i'd give this ancient thread a bump. We were booked on the Oriental Siren so are holding tickets to Dili already. We'd still like to go. A friend of mine was there a couple years ago and said it was all shore diving and accomodations were pretty much a couple of business hotels in downtown Dili. Has anything changed since then? Are there any small dive resorts or boats yet? I'm not finding alot of info.

Oriental Siren sank yesterday!!!
Canon 1 D Mark II N, Canon 100mm, Canon 15 mm, Tokina 10-17 FE Zoom, UK-Germany 1 D Mark II and Housing, UK-Germany 45 View Finder, 2 X Subtronic Maxi, 2 x Subtronic Mini,

Visit My Website

#3 chavala

chavala

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:02 AM

yes i KNOW! We were booked on it! (rolling eyes)That is why I'm asking about info for dive resorts in TL. The country is slill there, isnt it?

#4 in_minsk_we_trust

in_minsk_we_trust

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

That's a hilarious post.

Chavala, My wife and I will be in Dili from Aug 25th to Sep 23rd. I think things have changed since that last bit of info. There's still only a few dive ops, but the hotel scene seems to have developed a bit and if you want I can forward you some links. There's a fair bit of diving around Dili and Auturo Island. We could probably put together some boat trips to the good stuff, or maybe even something more exploratory, if we have enough people and our schedules align. PM if you're interested.

Chris

#5 chavala

chavala

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:45 AM

Thanks Chris, I'll do that!
I see Dive Timor Lorosae has some rooms which look really nice, as well as "The Castaway bar", which looks great. I sent them an email yesterday. It says on their web page they can get a boat out with a minimum of 6.

#6 Nautilus Cairns

Nautilus Cairns

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 02:39 AM

Thanks Chris, I'll do that!
I see Dive Timor Lorosae has some rooms which look really nice, as well as "The Castaway bar", which looks great. I sent them an email yesterday. It says on their web page they can get a boat out with a minimum of 6.

There are a few of us from Cairns booked on the same trip. Lets see what happens with an alternative boat

OMD E-M5. Nauticam NA-EM5. Inon S2000 strobes. Oly 12-50mm and 60mm macro lenses.

#7 chavala

chavala

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:21 AM

There are a few of us from Cairns booked on the same trip. Lets see what happens with an alternative boat

Hey Nautilus, I heard that's what WWDS is trying to do that and I'm crossing my fingers. But I still want a back-up plan. All the liveaboards to Alor/Komodo are already sold out during our time-frame. I'll PM you our dates -- wonder if we're on the same sailing?

#8 JayKav

JayKav

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thinking about doing the WWDS Timor "Discovery" 10 night liveaboard. Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge on this trip? Anyone been on the boat, The Junk?

#9 dangerzone

dangerzone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

Thinking about doing the WWDS Timor "Discovery" 10 night liveaboard. Anyone have any thoughts/knowledge on this trip? Anyone been on the boat, The Junk?

Trip sounds like it will be fantastic, and I'm booked on for 23 August. Never been on The Junk, but it's what everyone refers to as "the James Bond boat", as it was used in The Man With The Golden Gun." I've seen it up close a few times while in Phuket and the Similans, and it's definitely an impressive looking boat. Other than that, this will be my first time diving TL so I'm going based on the WWDAS reputation in this instance. I've attached the suggested route map that I was given for the trip.

Attached Images

• timor_discovery_10_nights.jpg

Canon 5DMkIII, Nauticam NA-5DMKIII, 2x Inon Z-240

#10 Bconno

Bconno

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

Does anyone have a recommendation to book domestic flight from Bali to Timor Leste, I have tried Merpati's site and it doesn't seem possible to book from the US without using a travel agent.

Chavala, which dates are you going? I'm on the sept 3-13 trip

Edited by Bconno, 05 August 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#11 dangerzone

dangerzone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation to book domestic flight from Bali to Timor Leste, I have tried Merpati's site and it doesn't seem possible to book from the US without using a travel agent.

Chavala, which dates are you going? I'm on the sept 3-13 trip

Because I have 11 days in Bali prior to flying from DPS to DIL I booked my ticket upon arrival. I also got word back from WWDAS that they can assist with booking the ticket through their travel agent, with a cost of about 1,928,000 rupiah each way.

#12 Bconno

Bconno

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:19 AM

Thanks Dangerzone, I also asked WWDS and they are double the price of what the airline charges, I understand they have to make money but that seems excessive

#13 dangerzone

dangerzone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

Thanks Dangerzone, I also asked WWDS and they are double the price of what the airline charges, I understand they have to make money but that seems excessive

I believe it's their travel agent that jacks up the price, and they even suggested that I book it myself because the price would be lower. I also opted to go through a travel agent at the hotel when I arrived in Bali and it was 1.6 million each way on Merpati, but still cheaper than the price quoted by WWDAS. There is also a Batavia flight on 22 Aug / 3 Sep for about the same price.

#14 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

A Balinese colleague got a travel agent to book & it was 436USD for 2 pax...
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#15 Bconno

Bconno

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

That's the right price. I just can't see paying WWDS $500 for one passenger. I've tried everything to book it and I'm down to paying that price which I can't really afford or wait until I arrive the day before, which is dangerous and could turn out to be just as expensive

#16 in_minsk_we_trust

in_minsk_we_trust

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

I bought two tickets from Denpasar to Dili last night on Batavia's website for 133 each. The website is legit and uses Paypal for the transaction.

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10637 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

Yes. That is the June Hong Chian Lee from Phuket. Haven't been on it recently but did a few times so years ago chartered it for diving in Similans and just sailing around Phangnga bay. A bit rolling because it's top heavy. It's not the most luxurious boat but it's comfortable. Diving is done off the dinghies but you can also jump off the side platform, if I remember correctly. Good crew and very good thai food (I insisted they didn't do any western food). I thought 10-12 people was just right for the boat there are triple and quad rooms. The Chinese decor is a bit much for my tastes but that's the point! I didn't mind it for 3-4 days but would probably go nuts after a week.
Good thai crew and ran efficiently. I think it's a decent boat with a good crew. Never been in bad weather on it though. And the Banda Sea can throw up some good storms. Looking at your itinerary, it seems you'll be protected by Timor itself all the way except the short crossing to Atauro. Shouldn't be a problem.
As for Timor diving, many of the sites have been fished of the bigger reef fish but the biodiversity is still pretty good nearby Dili. The walls around P Atauro were excellent for corals and sponges when I was there 5 years or so ago. It's just not as fishy as say the Alor Channel walls. I remember the mpa areas over on the East end were much healthier. Looks like a fun itinerary to do.
The cetacean hit rate is very good around the area. Dolphins (shy) and pilot whales should be easy to see. There's a big pod of Melon heads with Fraser dolphins around as well. Have fun.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.