Canon 5DMII WA Lenses Hugyfot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yannig

Yannig

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Wreck & Cave diving in OC or CCR, UW photography & video, ski & snowboard, climbing, windsurfing,...

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hello,

I know there is already lot of topics talking about WA choices and though I already read a lot on the forum but didn't really find answers to my questions so I begin this topic in order to have your ask on some of questions I'm asking to me now.

i would like to get the best for WA underwater use and i would get some hints regarding them.

I exclude fisheyes who distort to much if you ask me. I'm more inetrested by rectilinear wide angles or maybe the Sigma 15mm diagonal fisheye as i don't like bent images or have to bend them back in PS.

I tend to get the Sigma as it seems to distort underwater only slightly and it get very good reviews but i am open to other solutions.

Lens could be something like:

- Sigma 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye.
or
- Canon 14mm f/2.8L II USM.

I also would like to get a zoom for more versatility for some dives, lens could be

- Canon 17-40mm f/4L USM lens
or
- Canon 16-35 f/2.8L II USM

Most of the photos I take are pictures of moods with diver(s) as principal subject either in Cave diving (Cenotes) or on and in deep wrecks (150ft to 300ft +). I also would like to profit of the qualities of 5DMIII to make some videos.

My housing is a Hugyfot. I am basically looking for recommendations about sets of wide angle, extension, port, dome that are Ideal for Underwater use with the 5DIII + Hugyfot housing that set my practice at best.

Thanks for any help,

Yannig

Edited by Yannig, 18 August 2012 - 02:54 AM.

Sidemount, CCR, Technical & Cave Diving
www.intothedive.com

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:50 AM

The 14mm II is one of those lenses I've liked for the FOV but hated for softer corners. Underwater, even with a big dome, it's never performed well for me so I got rid of it. I really like the 16-35 II for underwater use.

However, I think you should look at the Hugyfot dome port size first. From what I remember, their dome port is a 174mm fisheye port. With a full frame rectilinear lens, the minimum size for good corners has been over 200mm, assuming radius etc is the same. So you may want to research more or even check on how the Hugyfot dome performs with the type of shots you want.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 Yannig

Yannig

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Wreck & Cave diving in OC or CCR, UW photography & video, ski & snowboard, climbing, windsurfing,...

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer!

From the time I created this topic and after many search here and elsewhere, I choose to go on a 16-35 II wich I'm gonna add a Zen 230mm I think. I'm just still hesiting between the 200mm and the 230mm...? And also, I don't know yet if I need to add an extension to this couple ? If you have an idea ?

Also I still want something wider and I was going on the Sigma f/2.8 FE that I know I can use with the Zen Dome (I saw Alex M shots on his try of the D800). I still have to check at wich extension I need to add it with the 5DMIII ? If you have an idea about it it would be very welcome !

In another way, I was considering the EF 8-15mm f4 USM. Quality seems very good even if it doesn't seem more good that the Sigma at 15mm that is the focale that is interseting me and then a lot more expensive. The only thing that could interested me with that lens vs the Sigma could be if I could add a 1.4 convertisseur to it and if by adding this convertisseur I could get sharp ultra WideAngle from 13, 14 or even 15mm to...? Could it work like that or that idea is simply stupid ?

Edited by Yannig, 23 August 2012 - 06:16 AM.

www.intothedive.com

#4 Yannig

Yannig

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Well... Still looking for the best WA to shot in Cenotes both photos and videos and I recently thought that maybe the Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM could finally be enough wide with the FF of the 5DIII...? Really straight, fast (not really important in Cenotes but for widelife sometimes it can be a real advantage I think...),... Any idea and comment about that choice ?

Edited by Yannig, 29 August 2012 - 04:05 PM.

www.intothedive.com