2 replies to this topic

#1 chipi

chipi

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Hey people.

Going to Maldives in 3 weeks for around 12 days. FInally :-)

A week on live-aboard en route area of Haa Dhalu and Haa Alifu and then the rest chilling on some island with cute house reef. Not a dedicated photo trip, more like a club trip with around 20 of us.

Any advices, hints, hands-on tips for uw shots?

My idea is to focus on some big shots while on boat (and pray for some big pieces in water) and then later to look for smaller things maybe. I plan to use 15mm Sigma fisheye without and with 1.4 TC and potentially also to use 16-35. BTW, I got D700 with two S&S 250s.

I am trying to make a plan if possible and undertand on what I need to focus on and what to expect, specifically in terms of environment (visibility, currents, reefs, animal life).

Thanks up front for any tip.

Thanks,
Marko

#2 Damo

Damo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Interests:Getting close to underwater aliens- and pulling the camera trigger

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

Hi Marko,

Have dived the Maldives quite a bit- but dont quite have the photos to show for it!! :-D
I have been island based and never done a live aboard.

However, here's a few thoughts.

1. Liveaboard is a good way to see the big animals eg. manta, whale sharks, sharks.
The live aboard will increase your chances of big animal encounters IMHO. Anyone I have ever met that has done a maldives liveaboard has had a great big animal experience.

2. I shoot primarily with the tokina 10-17mm when in maldives, so the fisheye will lend itself really well to your diving. The teleconverter will be a great bet too methinx. If I was you on liveaboard, I think you should shoot primarily with your fisheye, and your 16-35, and you won't go far wrong.

3. If you want to get macro shots for your folio prt. whip coral gobies, nemo shots, longnose hawkfish, mantis shrimp shots etc etc., use a 105mm macro or equivalent if you have it.Great macro oppertunities on housereefs! If you are staying on land for part of your holiday- do not ignore your housereef for macro possibilities.

4. Maldives diving can be quite photographically demanding re: currents. If currents are running, macro (in particular) can be very difficult.

Finally, check with your dive guides the day before as to what sites you will be diving on the day. This is vital so that you are ready to get in the water with the right lens configuration!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck and enjoy
Nikon D200- Sea and Sea DX-D200, YS-90 Auto/Duo strobes: Nikon 60mm/105mm macro : Sigma 10-20mm wide, now also with added Tokina 10-17mm power.

'All animals are equal, tho' some animals are more equal than others.'-Comrade Napoleon

'If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets'- Gurney Halleck

Visit My Flickr Website

#3 Longimanus1975

Longimanus1975

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Get yourself a reef hook so that you can clip in on the strong current dives