6 replies to this topic

#1 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi Folks,

I recently got around to getting a 105mm lens and a Deeproof 67mm lens adapter to try for some greater than 1:1 images
of some of our local super macro subjects. Many thanks to Jon(Otara) for his loan of Subsee lens to trial them out. I now
have a set on their way to me from the ever helpful team at Reef Photo and Video.

Using the Subsee was like going back to my previous compact rig with stacked Inon UCL lens. I found the technique I learnt
when using the compact was very helpful with the Subsee, with a few tweaks. Winter is not exactly the most comfortable time
here to be sitting still with a tiny subject trying to hold the camera steady but I was warmed by some of the results.

http://www.flickr.co...ims/7807267518/

http://www.flickr.co...ims/7807000794/

On a side note I have also switched from using PS to Lightroom 4 for editing and image file management so I'm very busy learning
how that works for me too.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

Lovely images, Jim. Been awaiting your trials with the setup. Which 105 do you use, the most recent or an older version? Wondering if my ancient 105 will be an issue as its the slowest 105 for focusing of the autofocus models. How you liking the setup? Any trouble getting the desired focus point? How long did you spend with each nudi to get the composition/lighting you wanted? You mention getting the subsee set. Do you find the +5 of +10 more useful? If you only could get one of them, which would you choose?
Did you shoot the Tassie blenny with a subsee as well?

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Hi Dave,

I got the newer VR model as the AF is reputed to be superior and I'll be using topside too.

To be honest I'm really not that patient so I didn't spend very long with each Nudi especially if they were moving a lot in the current.
Only took 3 shots of that Flabellina, 3 of that Madrella but did stay longer with a Trapania aureopunctata that I don't see often-

http://www.flickr.co...ims/7812691290/

As far as focusing goes I much prefer the 60mm AF-S but provided I use a focus light its not to bad. Main frustration is that the
DOF is so small that even the slightest movement from me or the subject botches the shot. I'm using single servo AF then locking
and rocking before releasing the shutter. Was finding AF-C to jumpy. Thinking about getting a manual focus ring to help quickly get
focus in the right area before AF fine tuning but the big price for a little bit of plastic is keeping me from doing that just yet.

If you only wanted to get one I'd go the +10, especially if you already have a Woody's Diopter.

The Tassie Blenny was taken in February with the 60mm and a Woody's.

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#4 bfowles

bfowles

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Great shots Jim did you have any problems with the deeproof adapter? I'm thinking of getting the 105mm macro (I already have the subsee +10) so I can play around with some super macro shots.

#5 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hi Byron,

no problems at all with the adapter, found it to be a well made, solid unit. There is an attachment point at the front of it which I have used
to put a short tether on just in case it decides to dive deeper than me. Recommend you get a macro port float for the 105. Which housing
do you have for the D7000?

Cheers,
Jim.

#6 bfowles

bfowles

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

I'm using the nauticam housing.

#7 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

Not sure how well the Deeproof adapter would fit to one of the Nauticam macro ports, if that is what you are considering Byron. The Nexus port has a straight
side where as the Nauticam compact port seems to have a tapered end? Be a pity if it didn't fit as IMHO the swing arm is the go for a wet diopter to give quick
and secure lens flexibility during your dive. Or maybe you have one of their ports with the inbuilt thread for diopters?

Posted Image
Deeproof adapter and Subsee +5 swung out. by JimSwims, on Flickr

Posted Image
Deeproof adapter and Subsee +5 aligned. by JimSwims, on Flickr

Edit- sorry I had originally posted the gear shots above as with a Subsee +10, it is in fact a +5. The nudi shots linked to were all taken with a +5.

Cheers,
Jim.

Edited by JimSwims, 20 August 2012 - 11:50 PM.