13 replies to this topic

#1 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Hi all,

My typical workflow involves using the lens correction profiles in the develop section of Lightroom 4. During the testing of the D800, using the Sigma 15mm lens and a ZEN 230mm dome, I noticed that the corners on the images were very soft.

Posted Image

I put this down to a hardware issue and started experimenting with extensions on the dome to overcome the softness.

However, I was looking at the images in LR and noticed that when i removed the lens correction, the softness/distortion went away!

Posted Image

The Sigma 15mm lens profile seems very off!

If you are getting weird soft corners with this lens, this may be a possible reason! Saying that, perhaps this is something that is happening with my installation of LR, has anyone else found anything similar?

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hi Adam, have you tried creating a custom lens correction profile?
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

I normally do it manually, so I can see at what point it start creating softness/distortions.

#4 kmo_underwater

kmo_underwater

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:15 AM

Have you tried the lens profile on any topside photos?

#5 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

I will play with manual correction both underwater and on the surface. I used to have a plug in called PT lens, I'll try it too to see if I get any better results.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#6 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Also, Adobe usually uses only the most recent version of a lens for the profile. I don't notice softness when applying the correction, but sometimes I prefer the look without.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#7 jonorunde

jonorunde

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

I have seen the same with D700/Sigma 15
It looks like the "correction" tries to make something that looks like a non-fisheye-image, which is not what I wanted at all.
Basically I stopped using it, both over and under the surface

jono

#8 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

I second the D700/Sigma 15 FE, but with Lightroom 3.But topside it seams to work great.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#9 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1724 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:33 AM

Adam

I'm not familiar with Lightroom (I use Photoshop) but what exactly is this lens correction trying to achieve - a rectilinear image from a fisheye shot? Domes create distortion (because they are just a simple spherical lens placed in front of the sophisticated camera lens) as well as the lens, so an above water correction may well not work with the lens when its used behind a dome underwater because of the additional distortions added by the dome. These distortions will almost certainly vary depending on the subject distance and consequent focus setting, and additional distortions and aberations will occus as you focus closer. [Even with flat ports the amount of correction of chroma needs varied adjustment for different focussed distances so I'm sure the same (but worse) applies to domes too.]
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#10 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Yup, upon looking closer, it's doing the same thing for me, with my old D200 and the older version Sigma 15mm FE. I just won't use it.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#11 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

Lens correction? I just go out and take pictures with it. Nobody's suggested my pictures needed lens correction (a lot of other corrections, maybe!).

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#12 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

I was working on some shots from Salt Pier, Bonaire. I didn't like the distortion on the pilings. The Lens profile default over-corrected. I pulled back on the distortion slider and that seems to do the trick. Unless there are obvious parallels in the photo, I would leave the lens profile off in this case.

Cheers,
Marli

Attached Images

• No Correction.jpg
  • Default Correction.jpg
  • Correction_81Distortionslider.jpg

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#13 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:17 AM

I think thats a great example of when lens correction is needed Marli.

stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#14 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

Yes, good example of where fisheyes aren't nice and a rectilinear WA is nicer. I do understand that rectilinear WA have their own issues with complex distortion and dome pairing...but the former is subtle and the latter seems solveable. So far, I still prefer trying to shoot with the 8-16mm and haven't even attempted taking the 10mm FE under.

I was going to post that I bet the lens correction was assuming normal optical use in 'air' and the extra air/water interface distortions behind a dome were defeating it, but I see I got beaten to the punch on that....

Edited by rtrski, 28 August 2012 - 06:59 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...