Photo
- - - - -

Canon 600D / Rebel T3i Issue....Flash Up = Shutter Capped at 1/200th???

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dangerzone

dangerzone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:19 AM

Hey Gang,

In manual mode, with the flash in the closed position, you can adjust the shutter speed all the way up to 1/4000th sec. With the flash in the open position (which it must be to trigger my strobes via FO cable) the camera caps the shutter at 1/200th. I'm guessing that there's a reasoning behind this, and that it relates to land-based photography.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way around this, or is this a limitation due to this particular sensor or firmware? For any 500D or 550D owners out there, is this an issue on those models as well? No matter what you change, with the flash up you can't get past 1/200th. Even when you close the flash and set it to a faster shutter speed, as soon as you pop the flash up it drops the shutter speed back to 1/200th.

Has anyone used Magic Lantern, and will it unlock the shutter cap? There is mention about access to shutter speeds, but nothing specific about this particular issue, and it does state that the camera will still impose limitations in certain modes.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed. If this is a simple case of a limitation for this particular (low-end) model, does Canon have the same limitation on any of the higher-end models with the same sensor?

Thanks,
Chris

Canon 5DMkIII, Nauticam NA-5DMKIII, 2x Inon Z-240

#2 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

Perhaps this will help you understand why all SLR type cameras have a shutter speed limitation with a flash:
http://digital-photo...our-photo-shoot
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#3 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1565 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Your camera is working exactly as it should. To get a faster sync speed you can attach a Canon strobe, but no underwater strobe (unless you house a canon land strobe) will let you sync to any speed faster than 1/200. Here is a good document that describes sync speeds with EOS bodies.
http://www.bobatkins...speed_sync.html

Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#4 dangerzone

dangerzone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Canon 5DMkIII, Nauticam NA-5DMKIII, 2x Inon Z-240