• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 02BeOnTheBeach

02BeOnTheBeach

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Hello everyone, I have just discovered this wonderful site and have already read many posts. My husband and I have always been avid snorkelers and a few years ago we bought a very very simple system (Olympus FE360 with underwater housing) to capture some of our adventures and have been pleasantly surprised at what we've been able to do. We have since done some discover scuba and plan to get certified before our trip to Bonaire in April 2013. I am looking for a simple system, small which could be point and shoot but has the ability of manual and shooting in RAW (which of course I don't know much about yet...but I will). I think I am mostly interested in maco and will likely get a macro lens....not too sure about wide angle yet. And, I don't want to spend $2000 as we probably will only use this system 1-2 times per year. I don't care about video as my husband already has his new toy (the GoPro Hero with underwater housing). Sorry that took so long to get to the real question but here it goes.

I'm thinking about the Olympus XZ1 with Olympus PT050 housing, PTMC-01 macro lens, and maybe the YS-02 strobe or the InonS2000 strobe but that is more expensive than the YS-02 unless there is a real benefit of going with the S2000 (more versatility to use with other systems as I grow, better functionality, etc).

I've thought about the Canons G12 (I think this is too big) and the S95 or S100 but worry about the shutter lag time. I have a little Canon FX230 which I use on dry land and I really like it but I think it does still have a significant shutter lag. Will probably move to the Canon t2i or t3i for land use soon but don't want to go this route for underwater just yet.

Am I at all on the right track?

thank you!

#2 seafan

seafan

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

I have the xz-1 with the inon s2000 and the subsee +10... used to shoot with the G-10 until it flooded last March. I love shooting macro and the inon strobe gives me all the power I need, cycles very quickly and is nice and compact for when I travel to really out of the way destinations.

I"m looking at getting another macro and will either go with the subsee +5 or dyron +7 but want more info on the dyron first. I would avoid getting the oly macro.
You can also check into the inon 165 macro with 67mm thread mount. All of these will screw into the oly housing as it has the 67mm threading.
May all your bubbles reach the surface before you do!!!

#3 alansen

alansen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

XZ-1 is a good choice. I just try it out from my last Mabul/Sipadan trips. Only 1 features to consider is when you choose the super macro mood, flash will never trigger.
Overall, all work pretty well. Go for the subsee +10. U won't regret.