• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 StPeteDiver

StPeteDiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Heading to Bonaire for a week of diving. I upgraded my point and shoot rig with an E-PL2 setup as mentioned in the topic. I'm wondering what lense upgrade to get. It came with the 14-42mm lense and I'm looking at getting either a macro port like the Athena MP-35 or the Zen Dome Port. I realize I'd have to get the 9-18mm lense with the dome port, but not sure if I need a different lense for the MP-35.

Is it mostly macro shots in Bonaire or are there larger wide angle shots that I should consider? Any suggestions? I've attached a couple of photos taken on a break in dive in Key Largo.

Thanks,
-Troy
327645_3368572384198_94328854_o.jpg 323893_3368571784183_1712973282_o.jpg

Edited by StPeteDiver, 24 August 2012 - 11:13 AM.

#2 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

I was in Bonaire for the first time in July. I couldn't find much wide-angle stuff at all, and when I tried there was enough particulate matter in the water to make it not worthwhile. I shot macro the rest of the week and had much more luck. Here are some examples of what I saw: Personally I wouldn't bother with the w/a.

-Gina

#3 StPeteDiver

StPeteDiver

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:51 AM

Gina,
Great pictures and thanks for information. That's what I figured...I didn't know if there was a special boat dive that goes somewhere with larger stuff like sharks or mantas or others. One question...what camera, lense and settings did you use for your UW photos?

Thanks again,

-Troy

#4 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:39 AM

Great pictures and thanks for information. That's what I figured...I didn't know if there was a special boat dive that goes somewhere with larger stuff like sharks or mantas or others. One question...what camera, lense and settings did you use for your UW photos?

Thank you. In a week of diving we saw zero sharks, mantas, dolphins. We did, however, see several spotted eagle rays and many turtles (eight on one dive!) during a morning of diving the East side of the island. If conditions allow I recommend going there with Bonaire East Coast Diving (http://www.bonaireea...tdiving.com/en/).

I use a Canon 5D MkII. The w/a shots were with a Canon 15mm fisheye, and for the macro stuff I use the Canon 100mm macro. On some shots I also used a MicroMate wet diopter. As far as settings, I generally shoot ISO 160, aperture of f/8 - 11, and shutter speed of about 1/125, but all are subject to change depending on conditions.

-Gina

#5 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

There are wide angle opportunities in Bonaire. I think there are in just about any destination, but some require a little more work and luck. Bonaire generally is good for turtle encounters which lend them self well to wide angle shooting. Also the Salt Pier if available to dive provides for interesting wide angle opportunities. Various piers and docks also tend to have schools of fish congregating around them so they also can be a good opportunity. I agree that I tend to carry macro more while in Bonaire but, do load up the wide angle and shoot when I find a site that works. That is the plus to Bonaire, you can go back after your macro dive and shoot the wide angle that you have found.

Cheers

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#6 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1179 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

I concur with Todd. I was just there for three weeks, and July did have comparatively poor visibility, but still better than a lot of other destinations. It improved the third week. Try to get out to Klein Bonaire. Dive Salt Pier (after 4:30 p.m. or on weekends). If the vis is better, dive the Hilma Hooker, and shoot ambient. All offer wide angle opportunities.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig