• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Just thought Id ask how many folks on here actually use a manual focus gear for their macro work. Been interested to know - Im only using AF atm but wondering how much more one can achieve in terms of advantages of having the facility for manual control underwater with small subjects?

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

I shoot a lot of macro. I don't shoot the 60 much, preferring the 105mm. I have focus gears for both, and they sit in a bag.

The one use I consider is when using a teleconverter or a wetlens, like a Subsee. I tend to use the Focus lock button, even then.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 meltdownman

meltdownman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

I shoot a lot of macro. I don't shoot the 60 much, preferring the 105mm. I have focus gears for both, and they sit in a bag.

The one use I consider is when using a teleconverter or a wetlens, like a Subsee. I tend to use the Focus lock button, even then.
Cheers,
Marli

Marli,

I have a 5D MII and would be interested in how do you apply the use of the Focus Lock Button. Do you have it programmed so that instead of pressing halfway down on the shutter button do use the focus button instead? Canon's user manual is not very good at explaining when and how to best use this the focus button. I hear that people use it quite a bit once they learn how to use it properly.

Thanks,

The Meltdownman

#4 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

I shoot Nikon; sorry. I focus using the shutter button and just hold the lever down on my Aquatica housing, and then sort of float back and forth. I generally only use it when having difficulty auto-focusing.
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#5 Larry C

Larry C

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Sports, Antique Motorcycles and Old Trucks

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Custom menu function IV-1, option 2 or 3 depending if you want to use AF-ON or AE-Lock button
I use back button focus on my Nikon, because I couldn't feel half press on my housing and couldn't hold focus lock when crap in the water moved into the focus area.

D300 MDX-D300, 2xYS-110, 1 YS-D1, Tokina 10-17, Nikon 60AF D, Nikon 35mm f2.0, L & M Sola 600

Nikon F100 w/Sea & Sea NX100 Pro

#6 gee13

gee13

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:46 AM

Thanks folks would like to hear more thoughts, so the concensus so far is for focus lock on AF? Just FYI I use a Canon T2i/550D. WOnder if theres a facility for this. Housing is Aquatica btw.

Im already doing the rocking back and forth but wondering if trying to stay a little more staionary and use the manual focus gears. That said uw its pretty hard to stay stationary anyway unless maybe if you have a tripod to assist.

#7 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:10 AM

Marli,

I have a 5D MII and would be interested in how do you apply the use of the Focus Lock Button. Do you have it programmed so that instead of pressing halfway down on the shutter button do use the focus button instead? Canon's user manual is not very good at explaining when and how to best use this the focus button. I hear that people use it quite a bit once they learn how to use it properly.

Thanks,

The Meltdownman

You might want to have a look here. http://cpn.canon-eur...ns_explained.do

and this might be of use to you also.

http://cpn.canon-eur...r_underwater.do

Stew

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#8 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1498 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

Thanks folks would like to hear more thoughts, so the concensus so far is for focus lock on AF? Just FYI I use a Canon T2i/550D. WOnder if theres a facility for this. Housing is Aquatica btw.

Im already doing the rocking back and forth but wondering if trying to stay a little more staionary and use the manual focus gears. That said uw its pretty hard to stay stationary anyway unless maybe if you have a tripod to assist.

Gavin, You can use a 18710.1 focus gear with the EF-S 60mm f/2.8 USM Macro, unlike the older non USM lens, the USM lens lets you override the AF without endangering the lens focusing motor. (just leave the lens in the AF position)
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively