• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

Well, thanks mostly to you guys here on Wetpixel, I found that I had a cupboard full of cameras and housings. My latest purchase was a D800 with Hugyfot housing.

The problem has been always deciding, in view of checked weight restrictions, which outfit to take away with me. I have been alternating between the DX with Tokina 10-17 and FX systems.

However, in these economic times, that is a luxury nobody should be able to afford so I have sold my DX outfit. I last used it in March of this year and the pictures I took with it were very pleasing. I am really going to miss the Tokina. It is with a feeling of trepidation that I let it go and concentrate on FX. It's all YOUR fault!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

I applaud your housekeeping John. Sadly mine is lacking with a stable of a 5D3, two 7Ds all with Nauticams and a couple of G9s...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:07 AM

i just arrived at that crossroad and made the same decision.
Im just waiting to sell my D700 Hugyfot rig and the availability of the new D800 Hugyfot housing, some new lenses
and a LOT of €€€ to hand over.
The call of the beast is too strong to resist ....
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#4 Kogia

Kogia

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

John -
You know you can use the Tokina on the D800 in DX mode, right? D800 res is still pretty impressive in DX, and you get a faster frame rate and higher sync speeds.
Doug

#5 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Goodbye DX through either upsizing to FX or downsizing to mirrorless. As lower cost FX are in the pipeline and higher performance mirrorless, eventually with better continuous AF as on-sensor AF matures, APS-C DSLRs are squeezed from both sides. Because a good selection of APS-C optimized lenses has never surfaced I think they will become a threatened species.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#6 garyyoss

garyyoss

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

I feel your pain.
Having recently purchased a D800/S&S MDX-D800, Sigma 15mm and Nikon 16-35 I really want the big Zen 230.
So do I sell my Zen 100 and Tokina 10-17mm as I no longer have my D300/S&S MDX-D300, or wait and see what Nikon has up their sleeve as the D300 replacement. Not to mention the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII that arrived from B&H yesterday!

Nikon D800, Sea and Sea MDX-D800, Nikon D300, Sea and Sea MDX-D300, Inon Z-240's, Nikkor 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 12-24mm, ULCS Hardware

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3023 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

Because a good selection of APS-C optimized lenses has never surfaced I think they will become a threatened species.

Bart

I've got to ask Bart, I don't understand your comment. I consider the Tokina 10-17 a wonderful lens for our underwater work and the new Canon 8-15 looks pretty spectacular too. The 100mm is a wonderful macro lens when used on an APS-C body. I know a bunch of folks who choose to shoot DX because of these lenses. What am I missing?
Not everyone wants to spend $3K on a body.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#8 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:39 PM

Absolutely Steve. The Tokina plus Kenko and the 100mm are the best reasons to keep my 7Ds for underwater not to mention the superb Sigma 8-16mm for topside... I'm hoping that Nauticam are going to release an optical glass version of their rectilinear dome port so I can take the Sigma underwater too.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#9 spencerjb22

spencerjb22

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

There are also those who use their cameras greatly on land too. I tried using the M43 for this purpose, but it simply didn't have the appeal of the SLR for a raft of reasons. Namely.. ergonomics, size, lens selection, filter use etc. I prefer a bigger camera when using on land for most situations. I see mirrorless as a good option on land for street photography,snapshots and similar situations.

#10 Glasseye Snapper

Glasseye Snapper

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Interests:Fish ID & behaviour and photos thereof

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

I've got to ask Bart, I don't understand your comment. I consider the Tokina 10-17 a wonderful lens for our underwater work and the new Canon 8-15 looks pretty spectacular too. The 100mm is a wonderful macro lens when used on an APS-C body. I know a bunch of folks who choose to shoot DX because of these lenses. What am I missing?
Not everyone wants to spend $3K on a body.

Cheers,
Steve

My bad. I had not seen any APS-C lenses interesting to me after I bought my Canon 60mm macro lens. But that doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I have an odd preference for subjects, small to medium sized fish, and therefore lenses. I just checked B&H and there are indeed tons of APS-C lenses. All the wonderful lenses you mention, and I had seen others write about, just never stuck to my frontal lobe as I have only shot primes and nothing wider than 35mm for the last few years. In that category the canon and Tamron 60mm macro are the only APS-C lenses to choose from. Thanks for taking of my blinders.

Bart
Olympus OM-D EM5/Nauticam, 12-50mm & 60mm macro
Sea&Sea 110a, iTorch, GoPro3 BE

#11 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3023 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

Glad you like the 60mm Bart. It's a great "fish" lens. The 100mm is a little too tight for your fish pics but makes for some great fish face images. Posted Image

Have fun,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#12 TomR1

TomR1

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

Man you guys.......

I still like magnification, close up magnification and magnification at distance.

So I now have a 150mm lens on my D-300 to snap shots of skittish little critters that my old, fat, heavy-breathing body can't sneak up on.

Tom

#13 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2119 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

... a good selection of APS-C optimized lenses has never surfaced...

... for Canon cameras?

I've been very pleased (prior to defecting to FX) with my Nikon lenses...

#14 JackConnick

JackConnick

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1215 posts
  • Interests:Sailing, diving, women, cats

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Oh god and now the D600 is coming in a smaller size and much lower cost...arghhhh!

Edited by JackConnick, 11 September 2012 - 06:29 PM.

Jack Connick
Optical Ocean Sales.com Sea & Sea, Olympus, Ikelite, Athena, Zen, Fix, Nauticam, Aquatica, Seacam, Gates, 10Bar, Light & Motion, iTorch/I-DAS & Fantasea Line - Cameras, Housings, Strobes, Arms, Trays & Accessories
Blog & Gallery: Optical Ocean Sales Blog
Flickr Gallerys: Optical Ocean on Flickr

#15 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:17 PM

Well,
my D800 is in Zurich and will arrive tomorrow here while the Hugyfot housing will be shipped in 2 days. :-)
Unfortunately something new and "better" is always on the horizon and it's not easy to resist the temptation,
but i belive that the d800 will set the upper level for the next few years.
But i probably need a new computer (another "thing" always being better and faster ones on the horizon) to handle the huge raw files while
a bigger hard disk will be needed soon ...
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website