#1 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

http://news.national...t-quebec-river/

A women drowned after being pulled under by the weight of her wedding gown during a photo shoot, it is a tragic reminder to those of us that work with models and water, especially those that are dressed up in cumbersome clothing, that we sometime do not realize the extend of the danger we put our subject in.

It fairly upsets me that this photographer (which I know) lost track of its working environment and ended up ill prepared for this situation. Having an assistant or life guard available with a simple floating line ready for deployment, it would/should have saved the poor women from drowning. Please make it a point to remember never to take for granted the things that look easy.

While this was a land based wedding photo shoot in a river with mild current and not a underwater shoot, the logic remain the same, when working in or around water, safety of our model should be paramount, there are a few of us on this forum that do underwater studio photography, and while I am sure we all take necessary precaution for the protection of our models (I know I do, sometime even to what might appears ridiculous to some), but if you know of anyone that does this kind of work and is unprepared, I would urge you to pass the message along.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best is still the best approach IMO.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#2 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

How horrible! As a medic (currently attending the International Association for the Study of Pain meeting in Milan, and surprising my new friends with my bad underwater photography habit) I have nothing but sympathy and the feeling that "there but for the grace of God go I": my respect and heartfelt best wishes to everyone involved.