9 replies to this topic

#1 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

Hi !!!

The Sea&Sea Mdx-D800 is coming without a moisture alarm !
I need an alarm with visual and vocal alert to fit in this housing.
Any recommendation ?

#2 meltdownman

meltdownman

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

If your housing has a spart port opening I would go with a vacuum system:

http://wetpixel.com/...497#entry315237

#3 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

How good is the vacuum system?

#4 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3045 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

The Sea&Sea Mdx-D800 is coming without a moisture alarm !
I need an alarm with visual and vocal alert to fit in this housing.
Any recommendation ?

I 'd recommend you get the optional leak sensor sold by S&S for the MDX-D800. It's listed as Product number 46115 on the US site. I wouldn't go near an ocean without one, even if I had a vacuum system. It boggles the mind that S&S thinks this is optional. Guess that's how they undercut the price of the Aquatica and the Nauticam by a little.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#5 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

Hugyfot has the vacuum system and a moisture alarm standart on their housings.
I was first a bit worried about it, but after one year i have to say that i love it and
it let me enjoy the dives more than without or with only a moisture alarm.
The big difference between a vacuum system and a moisture alarm is that the vacuum system show you a leak
BEFORE you go in the water while the moisture alarm triggers when the water is already inside the housing.
Creating a vacuum inside the housing will show any leak immediately and you can do that the evening before diving
and f the vacuum is still good next morning everything should be fine for the dives.
One thing to consider, once the LED show you enough vacuum go ahead and create some more vacuum inside the housing as
if the housing becomes warm the air expand and can trigger the alarm.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#6 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Thank all, for your comments !
The vacuum system seems too expensive.
I prefer a traditional warning system and in a way, I'm happy that Sea&ea saves on me - any way I prefer a vocal and visual alert and not only a visual alert as sea&sea has.
I know that Aquatica has this kind of leak sensor and I wonder id any one knows if it fits the Sea&sea mdx-D800 ?

#7 bighead

bighead

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

I am using the Aquatica housing for D7000 and it comes with a moisture alarm. Its a pretty flat unit, and will fit most housings.

#8 Longimanaus

Longimanaus

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

I have the Hugy system with the Hugy check (vacuum and leak detector). In the last 60 dives the vacuum system has saved my camera on two occasions where I had a problem getting my Zen dome properly seated directly to the hugy housing (operator error as I was trying to get the shades at a 45 degree angle without using an extension ring- specific dive that needed this set up). I could not get the vacuum to pump down and get a green "go" light. The second time was related to some water that had gotten under an o ring I had out for a clean and it could not seat properly- same thing, no pump down or green light. Second save.

The leak detector saved me when I was opening the hosing during a short surface interval to change lenses and a few drops of water ran down the inside of the housing. The audible alarm went off and I was able to safely blow the drops out so I did not have a fogging problem later (doubt they would have hurt the camera).

Lots of detail, but I just wanted to illustrate that these things happen. It does not matter how careful that you are. Most of the pros say that a flood is not a question of "if", rather "when" so wear the risk. I reckon my vacuum and leak detector system have already paid for themselves a few times over.

While i am a big Hugy fan (after using one for some time now) the reason I went with them is that I wanted this sort of protection in a well-manufactured housing. By the time I added up the costs of putting these system(s) into competing housings, the Hugy price was compelling.

Good luck.
Nikon D700, Hugyfot, Inon Z240s, Nikkor 16-35mm, shaved Tokina 10-17mm, 105mm D series, 60mm, Zen 230mm dome

http://www.matthewramaley.com

#9 udi62

udi62

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:53 AM

Thank you very much for sharing !!!
I really appreciate it !!!
I"ll try to conect the Aquatica sensor and get some more information about the vacuum pump.

#10 mojodiver

mojodiver

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

It's crazy to think S&S doesn't include a moisture alarm.
To save a little in price? Just dumb!