• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 resappraiser

resappraiser

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

I am planning a trip to St. Johns next April. Anyone have any dive experiences there or recomendations for a good dive shop? Thanks.

Bob

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

I dove there a couple of yrs ago with Low Key. With the exception of the Rhone, all their diving was in the relatively shallow area between St. Thomas and St. John. Bottom was at about 50 ft mostly. The diving was rather boring overall with limited decent subjects for photos. It was the standard 'tour' at a fairly quick pace. I tended to lag far behind looking for photo ops and would catch them again as they returned to the moored boat. Essentially solo diving for a photographer which is not that uncommon. Diving was limited by schedule, not N2 loading or air. I often finished with 1500 psi or more. They run a schedule so you end the dive to keep the daily schedule.

The big exception is the Rhone, which they tend to do once per week. That is a really nice dive with many good photo ops.

Nearly all divers the week I was there were beginning divers. Its a good beginning diver location, shallow, no current to speak of, easy in/out. Everyone else was in rental gear all week. The dive shop acted rather shocked that I had my own gear. Seemed like that was uncommon for them, which tells me about the normal customer. Nothing wrong with beginner divers, just realize its a trip designed for them.

I were going again, I would spend all my time on the surface at St John with the exception of diving the Rhone. There are many nice photo ops of the beaches and hills around the island.
There are quite a few nice hikes on the island and they were better than the diving.

If time and money were not an issue, I would trade dive shops and do the Rhone as many times that week as possible and skip the other diving. That trip takes all day and cost a fair chunk of change. The week I was there, only one boat went to the Rhone.

I would recommend contacting the visitor's center on St John MONTHS in advance to see what hikes you might want to schedule. They have one that sounded wonderful but was totally booked long in advance. It was a great hike/snorkel with a vehicle pickup at the end...thus the need for the scheduling. I suggest you contact them now.

Overall, its a wonderful island and really lovely with undeveloped beaches like no where else in the carib. I would just not think of it as a dive vacation location.

Edited by diver dave1, 06 September 2012 - 09:34 AM.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 resappraiser

resappraiser

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for your comments. I dove the Rhone a couple of times in 2007, great dive and great viz! Don't think I will want to do tha again based on the cost & time.

Bob