Thailand

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fasando

Fasando

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Photography, music, good food:)

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hey, if i would like to go to dive in thailand which place would be the best? i heard that alot of places got ruined because of divers and etc, so which place would you reccomend for diving? also which time of year would be the best?

#2 saga7

saga7

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thailand i a good location. Similian island is good. Diving season starts around november to similians. They did get hit by very warm water about 4 years ago. On some sites it did damage coral so the park has closed some sites from diving. I have been on 3 trips there and found lots to photograph. There are boulders the size of houses and at the bottom there are swim thoughs and that is where alot of the soft coral is. To see some photos you can check my website out. The silmilian island part was shot in january 2012 so you can see the variety of colors thailand offers. This was after the warm water which killed some corals in the shallows on some sites. There is current on some sites. There are alot of liveaboard boats which cater from the budget to expensive. The more expensive the boat usually caters to more experienced divers as well as a better setup for diving. There are a few cattleboat liveaboards there.
http://reefscenics.smugmug.com/

#3 dangerzone

dangerzone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

The divers aren't really the ones to blame for the deterioration of the reefs/life in Thailand. That would fall on high water temps leading to coral bleaching, and the Thai governments inability to stop fisherman from entering the Similans national park area. The diving overall has become mediocre compared to other places in the region. In addition to the Similans, you might look at doing a trip that goes to Hin Daeng / Hin Muang, which is as good or better than the Similans. There are some boats that do shorter trips in that direction. Diving out of Phuket is OK, with Phi Phi being that highlight of the area (Bida Nok / Bida Nai). Manta sightings are possible at the south tip of Racha Noi, but because the currents can be strong there aren't a lot of boats that dive it regularly because they can't drop DSD's or OW students there. If you're going to fun dive and take pictures you'll want to stay away from the gulf side (Koh Tao, Koh Pangang, Koh Samui). Catch a liveaboard trip out of Khao Lak (Sea Bees and KSA are good, and moderately priced) for the Similans, or one out of Phuket for the southern sites like Hin Daeng/Muang.

Canon 5DMkIII, Nauticam NA-5DMKIII, 2x Inon Z-240