#2 mexwell

mexwell

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 02:35 PM

William,

is it my turn again? :)

This time it is also late but I wrote all the settings down. Please bare with me as I donīt now the exact terms of the english PS CS Version as I use the german one. But they are listed in the same order as they appear to you from top to bottom.

RAW Converter:
Temperature 6400
Tonal +76
Exposure +1.70
Depth 5
Brightness 51
Contrast +40
Saturation +20

Settings within PS:
Depth 1%
Lights 40% (I love it)

Umask Sharpening 75

Then I took a slightly tighter crop.

Ok, I am by NO WAY a PS guru and constantly learning and these would be my settings if I had shoot that pic.

Let me know what you think?

BTW I love to play with your RAW files its like diving the florida keys by myself... and it seems like you are able to do it every week.... aaarrgghh... :(

PS: I think that should have considered a wider approach at the lovely angel. The fish looks a little "chopped off" at top and bottom.
Best regards

Christian

Photo& Video: Canon 5D MkII - Ikelite housing - Ikelite DS-125 - Ikelite DS-50
Glas Canon 50mm Macro - Canon 100mm Macro - Canon 17-40mm
Video only: Sony HC7 - Topdawg II Housing and Light System - Gorillapod UW-Tripod
My Website with Pictures and HD movies Last update 01-2010

#3 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:30 PM

William,

is it my turn again? :)

This time it is also late but I wrote all the settings down. Please bare with me as I donīt now the exact terms of the english PS CS Version as I use the german one. But they are listed in the same order as they appear to you from top to bottom.

Ok, I am by NO WAY a PS guru and constantly learning and these would be my settings if I had shoot that pic.

Let me know what you think?

BTW I love to play with your RAW files its like diving the florida keys by myself... and it seems like you are able to do it every week.... aaarrgghh... :(

PS: I think that should have considered a wider approach at the lovely angel. The fish looks a little "chopped off" at top and bottom.

This time I think I like mine better, yours is too light. I do like the crop though.

RE: I think that should have considered...
Considered??? I'm not the level where I think about what I am shooting, I just pull the trigger and see what happens.

Im glad you enjoy playing with my pictures. I'd post more than 1 a week but I would feal I was overdoing it. Yes I do try to go diving at least once a week. Lucky me!! Going to school in Miami ROCKS!! The biggest criteria when picking out a school was will I be able to go diving in the keys every weekend? Needless to say there werent too many choices.
William

Canon 5D Ikelite Housing and strobes
15FE | 24/2.8 | 35/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 150/2.8 macro

#4 kdietz

kdietz

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:32 PM

Nice job Christian

[ please read the ground rules for this forum, please!
we're trying to keep signal-to-ratio high.
no one-liner empty praises!! -admins ]

Karl Dietz...Nikon D200...Ikelite iTTL housing...10.5mm...15mm FE...12-24mm...17-35mm...60mm micro...105mm micro...dual DS-200's
www.kdietz.com

#5 mexwell

mexwell

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 03:51 PM

William,

going to school again would rock alone BUT going to school in Miami AND and beeing able to go to Key Largo whenever I want... man you are in paradise... (well diving wise...)

Regarding the brightness. Do you use an hardware calibrated monitor profile? On my systems your version was so dark I couldnt see any structure on the breast (is this word still allowed in public?) of the angel. I know it is really different to compare because of those different colourprofiles.... But if you go after the "dark side" thats fine with me :-))))))
Best regards

Christian

Video only: Sony HC7 - Topdawg II Housing and Light System - Gorillapod UW-Tripod

#6 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:19 PM

William,

going to school again would rock alone BUT going to school in Miami AND and beeing able to go to Key Largo whenever I want... man you are in paradise... (well diving wise...)

Regarding the brightness. Do you use an hardware calibrated monitor profile? On my systems your version was so dark I couldnt see any structure on the breast (is this word still allowed in public?) of the angel. I know it is really different to compare because of those different colourprofiles.... But if you go after the "dark side" thats fine with me :-))))))

No I do not have a calibrated monitor. That might be the problem. Anyone in Miami want to calibrate my monitor for me?
William

#7 mexwell

mexwell

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 25 February 2004 - 04:26 PM

Hi William,

the calibrating process does sound wild but is harmless. Not harmless is the price for the calibrating hardware. I can recommend the Colourvision Spyder:

Colourvision Spyder, Amazon [changed from url to link to prevent huge, wide window -admin]

Perhabs you find someone who will rent it to you?!

Good luck, it makes a big difference.
Best regards

Christian

#8 scorpio_fish

scorpio_fish

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1413 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 02:46 AM

Actually, on my calibrated monitor, the original looks better. The lighter version is too flat and there is a lot of noise added by the lightening effect.

The angle of the fish is very nice, just what you want. All you needed to do is turn the camera 90 degrees and make it vertical. You would have gotten all the fish without any extra space on the sides.

#9 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:04 AM

Actually, on my calibrated monitor, the original looks better. The lighter version is too flat and there is a lot of noise added by the lightening effect.

The angle of the fish is very nice, just what you want. All you needed to do is turn the camera 90 degrees and make it vertical. You would have gotten all the fish without any extra space on the sides.

I'm glad you agree that my version looks good. I was starting to worry that my monitor was way off.

It is funny this composure was actuallly a mistake. I was trying to get the fish swiming perpendicular to the camera(all of which turned out to be really boring and got thrown out as cull) but in this shot it turned right as I pulled the trigger. I'm just glad that I have didnt fill up my memory or I might have deleted it.
William

#10 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:22 AM

Hey, guys. Can we please use descriptive topic subjects when starting a new thread? Tell us what's in your photo.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#11 acroporas

acroporas

Beach Bum

• Critter Expert
  • 1776 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:19 AM

Hey, guys. Can we please use descriptive topic subjects when starting a new thread? Tell us what's in your photo.

Done.
William

#12 mexwell

mexwell

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:22 AM

I checked the pic on three different systems (one calibrated, two not) and stay with my opinion. But I guess it is just a matter of taste and thas fine for me.

@scorpio_fish
What noise did do you mean/in which area of the pic?
Best regards

Christian

#13 mexwell

mexwell

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 February 2004 - 02:25 AM

oops, double post - sorry!
Best regards

Christian