• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Received a request about my opinion of this cam this morning but I have had no practical experience with the quality of the footage or its ease of use. Any one have any thoughts?
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#2 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

I watched Philip Bloom's year old review of it the other day. Also includes the XF100 and XF105. Lots of useful info.

#3 textilet

textilet

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

I shoot with a Canon HF-G10, which is the same camera minus the xlr inputs. As far as ease of use in an underwater setting, it is important to note that the functions are heavily touch screen dependent. As long as you have a housing which allows you to easily navigate the menus-either by external monitor and menu buttons ala L&M or By use of the remote ala Gates-it is easy to use. I have the L&M and have no difficulty using white balance, shutter speed, aperture control etc. on the fly.
Footage quality can be quite good if the settings are correct and you feed the camera enough light. I am very happy with the performance of the camera in low light especially. Blacks aren't grainy which was a constant issue with Our old camera. I will link to some footage below.

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2840 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

Much thanks and I will pass this information on.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 blaisedouros

blaisedouros

Moray Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Speaking from a bias of "L&M makes a housing for it," I have been really impressed with this little camera. It uses the same CMOS Pro sensor Canon is using in the XF100 and XF300 cameras--a native 1080p sensor. Still a small sensor, so your DOF will be fairly deep, but larger pixels mean it's easy to white balance, and good in low light. 24 mbps AVCHD provides more than enough detail in the motion for almost anything I can throw at it. I like its options of 1080i60, 1080p30, and 1080p24. You can manually set the gain on the camera, or turn off auto-gain entirely, which is great for managing the digital noise that comes with higher gain settings.

Underwater-only users should go with its little brother the HF-G10; the XA-10 has twice the internal storage (but both cameras are expandable) and a removable XLR audio handle that doesn't fit in L&M or Gates' housings, and costs $500 more. If you plan to use it as a topside camera for professional use, though, the XLR on the XA10 can come in handy.