4 replies to this topic

#1 Abucs

Abucs

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

Hi guys,

1) Need some help here. Is this a coral or a some kind of critter?
The hole actually closes up when I went near to it and reopens when I back out.

IMG_2736.JPG

2) Is this a newborn nudi or some species?
IMG_2459-001.JPG
editted

Sorry if the photos are of poor quality.

Edited by Abucs, 12 September 2012 - 05:28 PM.

Planning for your dive trip again? Need an alternative site to look for your flights and hotels? Check this site out.

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Hi Abucs,

please refer to- http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=17763 Extra info from you will help the experts to track your finds down.
Here's a couple of guesses from an enthusiast to get you pointed in hopefully the right direction.

Your first one is an Ascidian or Sea Squirt.

The second image has a number of possible things in it. There is the feathery crown of a Tube Worm(what you may have mistaken as Gills of a Nudi?)
The orange tentacles in the image look like feeding tentacles of another worm, we have one off the coast of southern Australia with very similar looking
tentacles, Cirriformia cf filigera, though yours could be some type of Terebellid????

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

The photos are fine but it would help if there were larger. Jim's right about the sea squirt & the tube worm (probably family Sabellidae). I suspect the "orange tentacles" are branches of a red seaweed rather than worm bits.

#4 Abucs

Abucs

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Hi Abucs,

please refer to- http://wetpixel.com/...ic=17763 Extra info from you will help the experts to track your finds down.
Here's a couple of guesses from an enthusiast to get you pointed in hopefully the right direction.

Your first one is an Ascidian or Sea Squirt.

The second image has a number of possible things in it. There is the feathery crown of a Tube Worm(what you may have mistaken as Gills of a Nudi?)
The orange tentacles in the image look like feeding tentacles of another worm, we have one off the coast of southern Australia with very similar looking
tentacles, Cirriformia cf filigera, though yours could be some type of Terebellid????

Cheers,
Jim.

Thank you very much Jim for the link and identification.
Honestly, this is my first time spotting it.
Found it at Tulamben.

The photos are fine but it would help if there were larger. Jim's right about the sea squirt & the tube worm (probably family Sabellidae). I suspect the "orange tentacles" are branches of a red seaweed rather than worm bits.

Thank you too Leslie!
I also changed the photo to a larger one. Hopefully it helps.
Planning for your dive trip again? Need an alternative site to look for your flights and hotels? Check this site out.

#5 Leslie

Leslie

Worm Girl

• Critter Expert
  • 1816 posts
  • Interests:marine inverts (especially polychaetes), micro- and macrophotography

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

Much better size, thanks. The orange bits are definitely a seaweed. I'm still not sure about the white thing - either sponge, bryozoan, or tunicate.