4 replies to this topic

#1 chphoto

chphoto

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

Hi all,

I am not 100% new to underwater photography, but since I do it so infrequently I may as well be considered a novice. So finally I decided to add a second strobe to my EP-L1 housing. Since up until now I had the single strobe attached to the coldshoe on the top, I thought that I would replace double clamp with triple and attach second strobe to the additional arm.

My flashes are Olympus UFL1 and UFL2. They are not super heavy, yet I feel that clamp does not do a great job, in fact in the air it fail to support them in extended condition. Is this normal? Would it be fine underwater? Should I go with the different mount system? (keep in mind that I am going for compactness)

Thank you very much,
Eugene
Best regards,
Eugene

#2 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

I have a pair of triple-head clamps as well, not sure what brand, bought second hand. Have to admit to mixed feelings about them myself. Seems like they're either too tight (nothing moves) or not tight enough (everything is loosey-goosey). And that's with balls with rubber o-rings in them.

I think Inon now has a couple of 2-ball clamps with extra posts or whatnot for the saddle mount, as an option. I moved to having my focus light on the separate top ball mount (Ike housing) and no longer use my triple balls. I would not expect using a triple ball clamp for two strobes to work very well. You may have to go with a handle/tray for at least one of them.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#3 chphoto

chphoto

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the response. Inon was a great piece of information - i got ordered a three call arm. Will give it a try. I hope not to have to go for the tray at the moment. Thanks!
Best regards,
Eugene

#4 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Hope whatever you select works out.

p.s unless it's intended as a joke, you might want to proofread your "interests" statement...

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#5 troporobo

troporobo

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

I suggest you need to put your strobes on arms. Mounting them the way you suggest will not allow much variation in positioning, so the strobes will always be above the lens, giving either harsh shadows from the top lighting or making certain shots such as confined spaces and macro almost impossible.