• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

For $900 more, the D800 just seems like so much more camera.
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#22 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

I just upgraded to the D600 and have shot with it for about a week now. For me, the D600 is really the D700 replacement that we all were waiting for. Setting aside the $900 difference, I think the D600 is in many respects a better camera than the D800. I have been shooting with a D7000 for the past year and everything that was good about the D7000 is even better in the D600.

D600 Advantages
Right resolution. 36 MP is really too much to deal with for storage, postprocessing and sharing. 24MP is still way more resolution than I need.
U1 and U2 modes. These are perfect for setting up UW pofiles.
Speed. 5.5 FPS is almost as good as the D7000 and 1/2 a FPS faster than the D700.
Noise is slightly better on the D600 over the D800
Dumb Green Mode A lot of pros and keen amatures will discount this but the fact is its nice to have this mode even if I only use it 1% of the time. This is my "WTF?" mode. When the camera is doing something funky and the kids are loosing the moment and the wife is impatient, this is a simple "get the shot and get it now" mode that I turn to. Its also the "Stranger take our picture" mode. Maybe pros don't have to worry about these real-life constraints but for the rest of us its nice to have. I'll bet pros could benifit too when the camera is freaking out and they are about to miss the bride and groom's kiss.
Matching memory cards: Using two different card formats as the D4 and D800 do is insane. High speed SD cards are cheap and just as good as CF without the potential pin failure. Good riddence to CF.
Lighter and smaller: The best landscape and wildlife shots are not those close to the road. Smaller cameras also mean smaller housings not a small thing for overburdened dive suitcases. This comes at the expense of build quality, but even the D7000 is way overbuilt. See the Digitalrev D70 torture test video if you think you NEED an all-metal weather sealed body.
Simple Cheap IR shutter release: This is way better for mirror-lockup wildlife telephoto than the expensive shutter release for the D800 and now they have a sensor on the back as they always should have from the start!
Left-Focus: So far there are no major defects with the D600 being reported. Time will tell.

There are also many advantages to the D800/D600 disadvantages:

1/200 vs 1/250s flash sync. This is only 1/3 of a stop difference usually you can find some workaround. Esp with ISO 50 as an option.
AF sensors don't cover the full frame: D800 sensors are too close together too but not as bad. No problem focus and recompose is faster anyway.
PC and 10 pin port: I use CLS or PW anyway, but the 10 pin GPS connector is more durable when putting this in my bag. Why doesn't Nikon put the GPS in the camera anyway? If you must you can use a PC hotshoe adapter. Get one with high voltage protection while you are at it.
Dedicated ISO button: Nikon moved iso to the bottom on the D600 so its pretty easy to find now. Not as good as a dedicated button though.
AF-ON button: You can program the Fn button to do this on the D600.

All in all I think the D600 advantages outweight the D800 advantages for my shooting and there are no disadvantages I can't live with. For $900 I could have an extra lens or backup D7000 body. The UK pricing fiasco will be worked out soon I have no doubt.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#23 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

UWPhotoNewbie I am just looking at what you think the adavantages the D600 over D800. Most of the advantages you mentioned dont really apply to a camera used underwater.

1. D800 has 36MP vs 24MP on the D600. Well if 36MP is too much to deal with you can always reduce the image size on the D800 to Medium and have a 20.3MP image size. If you want to go back to 36Mp its a simple change especially in the future. You cant do this with the D600 as your stuck with 24MP
2. High FPS isnt an issue underwater as you can only shoot as fast as your strobes can reload (unless you shooting without strobes alot........honestly who is)
3.Dumb green mode wont work underwater
4.Matching memory cards.......big deal these days with cards being so cheap
5.Lighter and small isnt going to make any difference when you put it in a housing
6.IR release..........underwater???

The advantages of the D800 are that there are housing already made for it available now. Higher flash sync which is an important factor when it comes to deciding a camera especially with wide angle. More AF point and better AF. Just the alone are more important advantages over the D600.

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#24 johnspierce

johnspierce

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

The D600 does look like a very interesting camera and the early reviews are raving about the image quality. I'm pretty disappointed Nikon decided to set flash sync at 1/200. I wonder what compromise they had to make -- Size? Cost? Software complexity? Seems backwards.
Nikon D7000 | Aquatica Housing | Inon Z-240

#25 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Of course the D800 is a better camera in terms of technical performance. No doubt its the flagship. I just wanted to point out that there are several areas where the D600 is actually better. Of course most of these do not apply to flash underwater photography but my camera has to serve as an all around camera not just underwater so these features are important to me.

#26 witchieblackcat

witchieblackcat

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:51 AM

I want a crop sensor one! curses.. I was hoping for D300 upgrade...

Maybe... just maybe...

http://nikonrumors.c...d-of-2012.aspx/
Alistair

#27 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2102 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:34 AM

Thom Hogan has written that the D800 is a more convincing upgrade from the D300 than from the D7000 and, by implication, from the D700. That suggests that the D600 is only a convincing upgrade for those with quite old cameras moving into FX, where there is a good reason for choosing FX over DX. I rather suspect that my reasons for shifting to FX were not all that logical, but, having made that decision, I do not at all feel that I should have waited for the D600...

... I have to say that a D400 based on the D300 but with a new, high-pixel-density sensor, modern image processing electronics and the D800 AF module with a nice large, bright viewfinder would be closer to my Platonic ideal of a camera to house than even the D800!

#28 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

Time will tell. This discussion is sounding more like the "Is DX Done" thread. I have my doubts that there will be another pro bodied DX camera. I think once I saw the D700 it was clear to me that DX was headed the way of APS film. It took a bit longer than I thought but with the two disasters last year it is understandable.

For my part I'm still struggling with the benifit of the upgrade and the question of which camera to house. In waiting several years for the mythical D800, I had convinced myself that the D7000 gave me almost everything I wanted in an upgrade from the D70--except FX. I bought some pro lenses sold my 12-24 for a tokina 11-16 and agreed to wait it out another generation or two. Then the D600 comes along.

What did I get for a $2K upgrade? Better low light capability and better perspective range when using the big 3 lenses. The kind of camera I can get confortable with for the next several generations. Otherwise not much. The AF sensors are crowded and the max shutter speed and flash sync are a step back. The 11-16 seems a better choice UW than the 14-24mm and the 15mm sigma on FX doesn't seem to work as well as the 10.5 mm did on DX in domes. Hmmm. Two steps forward one step back.

#29 Jahworks

Jahworks

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

Hello, people. I'm new to the forum and do not speak very good English.
I am Brazilian, student of marine biology and would like to know from you whether a D600 or nautica + + Ikelite PRO-2800 LED Video Lite + lens? suggestion is a good camera to start the dive. My idea is to shoot and macro shots. Any suggestions of camera and lens? thank you.

#30 pKai

pKai

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

My .02...

If I were a Nikon shooter and were looking to upgrade from something lesser, the D600 would not even get a first glance, much less a second. Sorry.

Yes, the D800 is $1,000 more, but by the time you factor in the housing you need to buy for either, etc, the difference is not that much for what you get unless D600 housings are considerably cheaper.

I suspect the same will be said on the Canon side with the 6D vs 5D3 when the 6D is released.