• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 apwat2012

apwat2012

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:39 AM

I have been asked to do some photos for a swim school and not really sure where to start with gear for this.

I have a Nikon D7000 and external flashes plus studio strobes. I'm guessing I would need some kind of strobe since I'm shooting indoors. I don't think I want to go the "bag" route with my camera, so what are some decent options for housing and flash?

The water won't be very deep, I'll probably be just under the surface (maybe 2-3 ft?). Do I need the strobes out of water as well? I'm guessing pocket wizards won't transmit from under water.

Man, this underwater stuff is hard! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also, I might be doing this about once a month, so looking for something that's reasonably priced.

#2 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

There are quite a few here that do pool work often. More info from you will likely help them answer you. Will you be shooting a small number of subjects up close or many subjects from more distance? Moving/action related or still poses? Can you accept the grain of higher ISO settings? The answers to questions of that nature makes a considerable difference for the amount of light you will need underwater and the lens you might want to use.
"Reasonable priced" is easy, as long as you consider a large number to be reasonable. Reef photo or Backscatter could give you some pricing for overall systems by they are going to want more info from you regarding your objectives.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#3 apwat2012

apwat2012

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

There are quite a few here that do pool work often. More info from you will likely help them answer you. Will you be shooting a small number of subjects up close or many subjects from more distance? Moving/action related or still poses? Can you accept the grain of higher ISO settings? The answers to questions of that nature makes a considerable difference for the amount of light you will need underwater and the lens you might want to use.
"Reasonable priced" is easy, as long as you consider a large number to be reasonable. Reef photo or Backscatter could give you some pricing for overall systems by they are going to want more info from you regarding your objectives.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, let me give you some more information on what I plan on doing. The subjects will be mostly children either 1 or 2 at a time. Maybe a few groups of 4 or 5, but mostly single or a couple full body, but up close. I'm planning on using my Sigma 24mm macro 1.8 on the D7000. I can live with a higher ISO maybe around 1250?

#4 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:10 PM

I have taken some nice photo's of 2-3 people, close to the camera with a Tokina 10-17 lens, matching dome port, two Z240 strobes in a DSLR housing. That lens can work for larger groups as well but you may need different lighting arrangements. The lowest cost housing/dome combination is likely Ikelite. Reef photo or Backscatter could give you pricing on a combination like that. They may recommend different strobes to fit your needs/budget better. This may not be your optimum setup, depending on what you want to do and spend but it would give you a starting point for system cost.
Just a thought...
Your post came up while I was composing mine so I am adding this part below.
Your lens should be able to work for 1-2 children. Not certain about more. Others here or the 2 stores I mentioned should have better insight on that lens.

Edited by diver dave1, 13 September 2012 - 04:14 PM.

www.shiningseastudio.com

#5 apwat2012

apwat2012

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

From what I can gather, I's probably be looking at an Ikelite housing (about $1500) and one mounted strobe (about $700). What else would I need?

#6 tdpriest

tdpriest

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2102 posts
  • Interests:Diving medicine, warm water, scenery...

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

I have been asked to do some photos for a swim school and not really sure where to start with gear for this.

Everyone is being nice: you might be able to make this work with a couple of years' experience of underwater photography. The learning curve is steep, but long...

... I strongly suggest getting some hands-on help from a photographer or shop in your locality.

#7 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

Did you contact the businesses recommended? you need the housing, a port, maybe an extension ring, 2 strobes, the arms to hold them in place, cables for the strobes, protective cover for the dome when transporting, other minor items I am likely forgetting.
...and as pointed out by others, plenty of practice.

www.shiningseastudio.com

#8 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 225 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Okay, first off what you want to do is possible but how often will you use this new kit? You can very easily end up with 4 to 6 thousand in this set up.

You could buy a Canon G11 or 12 point and shoot with Canon's own underwater housing for under a grand and use ambient light with underwater white balance setting and be surprised how good they turn out. Shutter lag is a bitch but they both take great images. Try Program mode, 400 to 800 ISO. Program mode will pick a 2.8 aperture every time in a indoor pool setting but being a point and shoot it will have pretty good depth of field. Both of these cameras will over expose slightly so 1/3 to 2/3 negative photo compensation should be considered.

The resulting photos will need some post editing, highlights adjusted and some sharpening applied and possibly a white balance adjustment so shoot raw.

It helps considerably to eliminate as much water column between you and your subject so no more then 4 feet away.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#9 apwat2012

apwat2012

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

I did go to the websites mentioned and poked around a bit to get a feel for some of the pricing. The gear is quite expensive and I think I've narrowed two ways this could go. I think I have to eliminate any point and shoot cameras because I don't think I can deal with the shutter lag.

What I'd like to get are two sets of gear suggestions (one for my Nikon D7000 and the other for an older Nikon DSLR that I may purchase to be a dedicated underwater body).

1. I know for the D7000, I would probably go with an Ikelite housing as it seems to be the least expensive of the nicer housings. What I'm not sure of is what else I would need. Sounds like a Port (for Sigma 10-20), arm, strobe (Sea and Sea perhaps), I will have to contact the above mentioned sites.

2. The other option would be to get a used older Nikon DSLR (D90 maybe?) and housing as it may be less expensive to go that route and I assume the same port/arm/strobe, etc.

Oh and 3...a lot of practice :)

Another example that might come a little closer to what I'm looking to do are the underwater shots on this site http://www.urchinrock.com. I don't mind cranking the ISO up if that will allow me to not use strobes outside the pool, because I don't think I will be able to afford it at this point and using my normal Alien Bees with plug is probably not a good idea (not sure how I would fire them off anyways.)

I'll be using the photos for promotional images for advertising and possibly printing some for parent of the kids (5x7, 8x10ish).