48 replies to this topic

#41 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:53 PM

I've recently been doing some interesting tests to determine what to replace my dear old hacked GH2's with. Like many others I've been following the release of the GH3 with great interest. The frustrating thing is that the GH3 has been virtually impossible to get here in Australia until a couple weeks ago...and that first batch has now been sold. I managed to "borrow" one from a dealer with a view to purchase. This allowed me to do a quick test and compare it with my hacked GH2 and D800. I've also been testing the new Nikon D5200 (which I've now bought) both without and with a Ninja2.

All of the above cameras have clean HDMI out, which makes use with a Ninja (Prores HQ @220 mbps) a very big advantage over the internal codecs. I will not go into the details of my comparative tests other than to say that I'm only interested in optimum video image quality under normal circumstances...so noise at very high ISO is irrelevant for my selection criteria. I normally shoot at 400 ISO and rarely above 1000 ISO.

To get to the point...for my requirements the Nikon D5200 (with and without the Ninja) produced the best video image in my topside tests. Slightly better than the D800; significantly better than the hacked GH2 and GH3 (which really isn't that different to the GH2's video quality...a bit disappointing, actually).

In terms of DR, color purity, color gradation, color banding (lack of it), moire and aliasing, and...particularly NOISE, the D5200 was significantly better than the GH2/GH3, and somewhat better than the D800. The new Toshiba sensor in the D5200 with the way the processor handles the 24 mp image results in what is to my eyes a very beautiful, neutral and very clean video image. Two other important features of the D5200 (for me, anyway) is decent autofocus (AF-F) during video which is almost as good as Panasonics; and that the HDMI also carries audio...important for topside work with the Ninja. Unlike the D800 it is also possible to have very accurate auto exposure (AE-S) during Live-view video acquisition with the D5200 (and still control shutter preference and ISO).

Of course each camera has its feature advantages (the 50/60p of the GH3 is excellent, whereas the 50/60i of the D5200 is retarded). For still photographers the RAWs out of the D5200 are way better than anything out of the GH3.

If you are wondering why there are no Canon DSLRs on my short list...three reasons: 1) Canon have decided not to allow clean HDMI out for cynical marketing reasons (the HDMI out will soon be miraculously "unlocked" in the Canon 5D3 by a simple firmware update...no doubt in response to the success of the D800); 2) Canons (including the 5D3) have relatively soft video; and 3) I dislike the "Pink Disease" color cast of current Canon lenses. I had a 5D2 with several L lenses for a year...but went back to Nikon and Zeiss glass.

Please regard this as just my personal opinion and a heads up about the cheap and humble D5200. I'm happy to answer questions...but I have neither the time nor desire to post examples to "prove" anything. There's pleanty out there already:

GH2 vs GH3

http://provideocoali...l_video_camera/

"If you’re looking for a big leap in video performance over the GH2, the GH3 doesn’t appear to be it."

D5200 vs GH2

http://www.eoshd.com...n-d5200-vs-gh2/

This has a couple of frame grabs that clearly shows the noise difference...which is much more noticeable when comparing the video material.

I hope someone makes a good housing for the D5200 asap...or it's another Subal conversion job for me. Posted Image

Edited by HDVdiver, 14 February 2013 - 04:41 AM.

#42 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Thought I posted this yesterday - may have got lost in the site update - but Ikelite announced their D5200 housing:

http://wetpixel.com/...d5200-available

Edited by ScubaBob, 19 February 2013 - 05:59 PM.

My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH4 | Nauticam NA-GH4 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lumix 7-14mm / Oly 12-50mm / Oly 60mm Macro / SubSee +10

#43 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

It seems that Nauticam will show the new GH3 housing and other amazing stuffs at NAB in April:

http://bit.ly/ZtxJ77

Nauticam is the worlds premier manufacturer of underwater camera housings and accessories. Visit the Nauticam booth to see housings for the Canon 1DC, Panasonic GH3, RED EPIC and SCARLET, SmallHD DP4 and more. Nauticam - Innovation Underwater

Edited by Davide DB, 21 February 2013 - 02:27 AM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#44 HDVdiver

HDVdiver

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:Dive,dive, dive...

Posted 22 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

A lot can happen in a week...

Just a brief update to my earlier overview of the D5200. After using it topside for the last few days i am still very impressed with the video image quality...BUT there's a couple of serious issues that I've discoved that will make the D5200 less useful to some people:

1) Nikon have been dishonest in their impementation of Shutter Priority during Live-view for video. To cut a long story short (discussed at length at personal-view.com), whereas the LCD shows an f-stop read-out which shows the correct f-stop selected for auto-exposure in reality the diaphram DOES NOT CHANGE...the exposure is controlled internally/electronically...even though the ISO is fixed by the photographer (and is shown to be that which is selected on the LCD info). So...youre stuck with always shooting at the maximum aperture of the lens...duh!

As if this B.S. wasn't enough:

2) Whatever gimmickery is changing to control exposure is also interacting in an unpredictable way with artificial light sources that rely on high frequency oscillation (Flouro and most LEDs) resulting in very conspicuous black bands in the video image ...but appearing and disappearing in the same file/sequence as ambient light changes (so not simply a 50/60Hz issue). No problems at all if manual exposure is used.

If this is the best Nikon can do I worry for them and their integrity.

My GH3 finally arrived...and after using/testing it much more extensively than I was able to before, I'm finding the camera handling and it's image quality @ 50p/70 mbps superb! Although the video out of the D5200 is slightly cleaner and more color accurate the overall performance, video AF accuracy and availability of 50p makes the GH3 my final choice in replacing the hacked GH2.

I just hope Nauticam makes glass domes for the GH3 housing this time.

#45 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 10:47 PM

If the image quality is improved over their current APS-C cameras, Canon could be back in the cropped-sensor mix soon. 70D rumored for March, 7D2 for August, with 700D in-between.

http://www.canonrumo...n-eos-products/

#46 pugetseaslug

pugetseaslug

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:18 AM

I emailed Nauticam several weeks ago asking if they could tell me anything about their plans for a housing for the GH3.  Got this reply over the weekend - short on details, but good to now they *will* make a housing and, if their estimates are to be believed, it may not be a very long wait before they start to become available.

Their reply:

Thank you for the enquiries and interest in our product and kindly feedback.

I am glad to tell you that we will go for support this model for sure, however it will take around 1 month to start the shipment of NA-GH3. Please keep tune with our website www.nauticam.com for the most updated inforamtion.

That's what I got.

I guess I can go ahead and buy that new camera now, eh?  (gulp....)

#47 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

Nauticam have told me: "We provide only the acrylic dome ports for NA-GH3 housing."  :(

(In case anyone missed it: pics of the housing)

Anyone at NAB?

#48 Davide DB

Davide DB

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

Nauticam have told me: "We provide only the acrylic dome ports for NA-GH3 housing."  :(

(In case anyone missed it: pics of the housing)

Anyone at NAB?

Hi Nick,

It would be nice having some feedback on these ports:

http://www.fun-in.co...ory&path=58_195

F.I.T produces lights very similar to FIX but cheaper. I always thought  that these two brands are linked in some way.

Regarding the new housing, I would like to see it side by side with my NA-GH2 to evaluate the overall dimension.

Edit: unfortunately I see only the 4.33" dome for 8mm fisheye. Not the best lens for uw video (IMHO).

Bye

Edited by Davide DB, 08 April 2013 - 11:45 PM.

Disclaimer: Your new gear will not make you produce any better art than you already do.
https://vimeo.com/bocio/

#49 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

There is now a 170mm (6.7") Zen glass port for this housing. Apparently it would vignette with the 8mm fisheye but would be a good match with the Lumix 7-14mm lens. It's $999 compared with $500 for Nauticam's 6" plastic dome.

http://wetpixel.com/...976#entry331503

http://reefphoto.com...roducts_id=6302

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: GH3, Panasonic