• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wanderer

Wanderer

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

I know decorators can be tough. This one was taken in about 20 ft of water in the Philippines, in a grassy seabed area.DUM_7785c.jpg

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

I have seen these at Lembeh; I call them Sumo crabs, due to the sponge suit.Posted Image They are similar to Orangutan crabs, which are an Ocinopus species. To my knowledge, they are still undescribed.

Cheers,
Marli

Edited by scubamarli, 16 September 2012 - 08:57 AM.

Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

I have seen these at Lembeh; I call them Sumo crabs, due to the sponge suit.Posted Image They are similar to Orangutan crabs, which are an Ocinopus species. To my knowledge, they are still undescribed.

Cheers,
Marli

Nice name! I usually call them Sponge Leg Crabs, but I like Sumo Crab Posted Image Here's some video I posted a while back of one removing the sponge off the skin it has grown out of and putting it onto it's new body :-

[vimeohd]14149959[/vimeohd]

Edited by liquidguru, 16 September 2012 - 03:34 PM.

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#4 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1176 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Great video. Miss the Strait.
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Wow Kaj, amazing behaviour you've captured there. Looks like he's going to be "getting dressed" for quite a long time. I wonder if he puts the bits of sponge in his mouth to remove any edible stuff, or to apply some sort of "adhesive saliva".

#6 liquidguru

liquidguru

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:Staying Alive....

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

Thank guys. Nick, I'm not sure if crustaceans can produce saliva. My best guess (and it is just a guess) is that he picks off the sponge and then just holds it in his mouth where he can then get a better grip before placing it on his body. Occasionally he picks one bit off, puts it in his mouth, then picks another and places that in his mouth with the other, before then taking both pieces and planting them on his new skin.

I got some more footage a year or so later of one that had just completed the process and the sponge coating was all lumpy. I imagine that the sponge covering then 'repairs' itself as sponges can do, and becomes a smooth shell.

Sony XR500 - LMI Stingray+ G2 - 2x LMI Sola 4000 LEDs
Liquidguru's Website
My weekly Blog from Ambon, Indonesia

DIA_sig_new.png

#7 JimG

JimG

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Interests:Photography - underwater and avian, natural history

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

I've seen them in Lembeh too and done a lot of trawling about for an i.d. There are a number of references to them via Google as Ocinopus aranea but none of them seem particularly authentic.
That's a great video - thanks for posting it

Jim Greenfield - Canon 5D Mark 3/Aquatica
My Web Site