10 replies to this topic

#1 Abucs

Abucs

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi guys,

Not sure if there's a same topic or this is the right section to post but I have some problems with my underwater photography technique.
I'm new in underwater and have only been using a G9 with U/W housing to take photos.

I only take photos with Manual setting but I often face this same problem with the flash being too bright causing the photo to burst especially when I'm too close to small critters.

IMG_2177.JPG

Advise is much appreciated on how to solve this problem.

Thanks.
Planning for your dive trip again? Need an alternative site to look for your flights and hotels? Check this site out.

#2 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

What are your settings, Flash Output Setting, ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed?

#3 Abucs

Abucs

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

What are your settings, Flash Output Setting, ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed?

For this particular photo,
Flash Output = 2nd level
ISO = 100
Aperture = 4.0
Shutter = 1/100
Planning for your dive trip again? Need an alternative site to look for your flights and hotels? Check this site out.

#4 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Fiddle around with your settings, possibly bump your shutter speed up to 1/200 and see how it works. The good thing about having over exposed images is that you have enough light....you are just letting too much of it in!

Good luck and sure if you practice you will find your optimal settings!

#5 Abucs

Abucs

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

thanks for the advise.

#6 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

I also have a G9 but not used in much in a while. If I recall correctly, you do not get flash TTL when in Manual setting, leading to your issue. So you might try Av, Tv or even P settings to get TTL flash. If you use Aperture priority, you can set the f-stop to perhaps f8 and have a better chance for good exposure.
If you want to stick with manual, you could dial down the f-stop and dial up the shutter speed, review the photo on the spot, change the f-stop and try again. I had two main frustrations with the G9, the lack of TTL in Manual and the shutter lag. An open f-stop and close photo's will be difficult not to over expose.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#7 Abucs

Abucs

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

I also have a G9 but not used in much in a while. If I recall correctly, you do not get flash TTL when in Manual setting, leading to your issue. So you might try Av, Tv or even P settings to get TTL flash. If you use Aperture priority, you can set the f-stop to perhaps f8 and have a better chance for good exposure.
If you want to stick with manual, you could dial down the f-stop and dial up the shutter speed, review the photo on the spot, change the f-stop and try again. I had two main frustrations with the G9, the lack of TTL in Manual and the shutter lag. An open f-stop and close photo's will be difficult not to over expose.

this is a great piece of advise and it just shows how much i understand about this camera. i also wonder why i never bother trying switching to other modes.
can i also check with you what's the normal exposure you use underwater? due to the flash being so bright, i always ensure i'm shooting photos underexpose. depending on the depth and object size, i'm always between the range of -1 to -2 so that the photo can be compensated by the flash (as in hoping the flash will not be too bright like the above photo).

about the f-stop, i tried before jacking it up to f8 or even f10 but that would result to a slower shutter and a higher ISO. Knowing G9 will be noisy at ISO400 and the response of the camera will be slower, I always end up having OOF photos. I also noticed the higher ISO, the more backscatter there is.

#8 johnjvv

johnjvv

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

The -1 and -2 would be your standard deviation setting which does not work on manual setting (I have a G11 and assuming it is similar).

Set your camera to shutter priority (TV) and select a shutter speed somewhere around 1/200 to freeze the action. In this setting your standard deviation setting will work.

If you want to use manual mode, put the ISO on 100-200, f4-f8 and shutter speed 1/125 - 1/200 and as Diver Dave said review after you have taken a photo and make adjustments as required...

If you practice adjusting the settings on the housing before you go diving it will be a bit easier!!

Good luck!!

#9 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

Read the manual.
Some where there is an adjustment slider for the flash out put.
Move it down a little and take a test shot. Repeat with same subject.

As you change subjects from dark to highly reflective,you may need to readjust.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#10 Abucs

Abucs

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

The -1 and -2 would be your standard deviation setting which does not work on manual setting (I have a G11 and assuming it is similar).

Set your camera to shutter priority (TV) and select a shutter speed somewhere around 1/200 to freeze the action. In this setting your standard deviation setting will work.

If you want to use manual mode, put the ISO on 100-200, f4-f8 and shutter speed 1/125 - 1/200 and as Diver Dave said review after you have taken a photo and make adjustments as required...

If you practice adjusting the settings on the housing before you go diving it will be a bit easier!!

Good luck!!

Thanks. I will try out your suggestion.

#11 Abucs

Abucs

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:42 PM

Read the manual.
Some where there is an adjustment slider for the flash out put.
Move it down a little and take a test shot. Repeat with same subject.

As you change subjects from dark to highly reflective,you may need to readjust.

G9 has 3 levels of flash output.
I've tried the first and second level. The first is pretty much non-existence during underwater. Can't seem to bring out any light at all.
So the only option left is the 2nd level which I'm currently using.