• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vagabonder

vagabonder

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:51 AM

I’m considering going on a last minute package holiday to Hurgada in Egypt.
I have mainly done my diving in Malaysa (Sipadan), most places in the Philippines and Lembeh. Did also Similan Islands in Thailand, but never been so disappointed regarding things to see and number of divers. So put in another way if Egypt is on same level as Thailand I’m in doubt about going – just to give an indication of what I want. But the main purpose is to check out new diving gear and my new Panasonic GX1 with a Nauticam housing. I know its possible to go for 2-3 days liveaboard tirps also, any been on this trips?

So how is it at this time of the year in Red Sea? Any thoughts and advice are welcome.

regards

vaga

#2 Christian K

Christian K

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

Hurghada might not be the most adventurous place to dive in the Egyptian Red Sea, but there are a few nice spots, especially if you like wreck diving (Abu Nuhas). The number of divers is a lot less nowadays compared to a couple of years ago due to the recent political turmoil.
Don't expect the variety of marine life as you'd find in the Philippines or Sipadan, but much better than the Caribbean, good numbers and lots of color and clear blue water. Good for WA.
There are short liveaboards offered in most areas. Also consider Sharm El Sheikh (reached with ferry from Hurghada) or Marsa Ghalib (3 hours south of Hurghada) for a 2-3 day liveaboard. If you can do one week, Brother Islands and Deadalus Reef are the most exciting places inmo. Often crowded nowadays, but still offers world class experiences from time to time. Fall usually is a good time for oceanic white tips around Brother Islands and Elphinstone Reef.

Good luck