8 replies to this topic

#1 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Hi all...

So I am heading to northern BC in a week and along with the obvious underwater opportuities, there is also some pretty nice topside photo opportunities. I don't really do much dry photography, and the only lens even remotely "long" is a 18-105 which came with one of the D7000s I own.

So I was wondering about buying a teleconverter to stretch this out a bit, perhaps a Keiko 1.4.

I know that there are uses for this little thing underwater too, but I don't really know what! If I stick it behind mt Tokina 10-17, what does this do? Closer focus? Kinda wide angle macro?

And if I stick it behind my 60 macro, do I get an "84". And a "147" if I stick it behind my 105?

I am having trouble justifying the $350 for this thing, to shoot some sea lions on the surface, but it can add to the quiver for underwater use, then it's a little easier to justfy.

Thoughts from you wise folk would be appreciated.

But be quick about it... I leave Wednesday! Posted Image

Thanks!

Edited by Stoo, 19 September 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#2 Alastair

Alastair

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:17 PM

i have the Kenko 1.4 and 2x teleconvertor - i use the Kenko whenever i can behind my 10-17 as i love that CFWA style of photography. i have tried it behind the 60mm and gave up as the AF wasn't great and used the 105mm and a wet diopter instead for getting more that 1:1 macro. I have tried the 2x and my 10-17mm but haven't enjoyed it as much as the 1.4x. For land photogrpahy i have used the 1.4 with my 80-200 but i iwsh i had a tripod so i could have got some nice bird shots ( land vacation scotland) and shots of deer although they weren't so sharp when i zoomed in as i had used the roof of the car.... I think it is worth the $350.. good for land and UW.
Alastair

Nikon D90 Aquatica housing, nikkor 60mm, ,105VR mm, 18-70mm, 17-55mm, 10.5mm FE, 15mm FE, 10-20mm.
Inon strobes, TLC arms.

www.mcgregorUW.smugmug.com

#3 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

You might want to make sure the 18-105 would work with a TC, I'm not sure it will. Also not sure what your maximum Aperture is with the 18-105 but I know it will be smaller with a TC. That all said the Kenko 1.4 will work on your 10-17 and 60mm. There is much to search about on this forum of the uses of a TC for wide angle macro.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#4 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:06 AM

The teleconvertor will wotk on the old AF 60 macro, not thne newer 60 AF-S one.

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:12 AM

As a Canon user I've found that lenses that refuse to work in front of a TC can be made to cooperate if an extension tube is used between the two. Could be similar for the Nikon too...
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#6 Aquapaul

Aquapaul

Sting Ray

• Team Wetpixel
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Photography above and below the waves.

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

The teleconvertor will wotk on the old AF 60 macro, not thne newer 60 AF-S one.

I have the newer AF-S 60mm and the Kenko 1.4 works fine on mine. True auto focus is slower and can get confused and hunt a bit but it works fine.
Paul Chase

----}<))))"> ----------}<))))'>
-----------}<)))))))))*>

#7 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:43 AM

Hi Stoo,
I've found the Kenko 1.4 TC and Nikon 60mm AF-S combo to be very, very sketchy. It really struggles to get a lock even with a
strong focus light beam. I have used the combo on a D90, perhaps it has better performance on the D7000 body? I was told
when I asked in the past on WP that the Canon extension tube trick won't work with the Nikon lens.

The other thing to consider for UW use is what extension rings do you have to accomodate the extra length? You may need to
also factor in that with the costing.

I wonder if you possibly might be better off throwing the money at a Tamron 70-300mm???

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#8 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thanks Jim...

I think I am trying to kill two or three birds with one stone... mostly to reduce the amount of stuff I carry travelling. As I mentoined, I have a 12-24 which I might get rid off, and use the Kenko on the 10-17, and if it will also work on the tele lens topside, then voila...

But based on past experience, "shortcuts" rarely seem to work when it comes to this stuff.

Reading your comments about the 60, do you think the problem is because of the teleconverter, or just because of the longer focal length? I know I have terrible time focussing my 105 with the small sensor. I was warned about this but it came with my used D90 system when I bought that. It's a nice lens as long as you can plant yourself on the bottom. I've even used a Gorilla tripod to stabilize it... which was kinda of a joke! ;-)

#9 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Really not sure why. Is it my expectations, the copy of lens or TC, model of TC, or camera body??? I have seen a few on WP
state that it works for them like Aquapaul has, including Alex.M and Alex.T.

Can't see the 10-17 + 1.4TC is a swap for a 12-24, the Fisheye has a very different field of view. As you say beware "shortcuts".
I can certainly see the appeal of not taking the 12-24 and the big dome it needs.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Keiko, teleconverter, 1.4, 10 - 17, Tokina