Anyone Shooting the d800E?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 guyharrisonphoto

guyharrisonphoto

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Macro, big critters, coral reefs, kelp, I love it all!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:31 AM

Is anyone shooting the D800E? What has been your experience with artifacts/moire in subjects like fine patterns in sea fans or fish scales? How about video quality? Would especially like to hear from people who have shot it in comparison to the D800 underwater.

Thanks, Guy

#2 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

Hi Guy,
I have them both and to be honest, i think the differences between both camera are exaggerated. I never experienced negative effects like moire in the D800E nor extra sharpness when shooting macro. From what i have seen, differences are only visible with fast (f/1.4), high quality lenses when they're stopped down to f/4.0-5.6. As far as i am aware most photographers use none of these lenses under water. For video i can't tell you, but i'd expect the same.

Udo

P.S.: i have the D800E because an online shop sold it to me like it was the D800 (they weren't aware of the difference...)

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#3 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

I agree with Udo, I have both, and the differences are minimal and only visible at optimal apertures say from f4 -f8, and then only at high magnification. If your goal is large prints with images shot in this range, then it may be worth it to go with the 800E. Macro generally will not show the difference as small aperture diffraction will obscure the differences. Underwater other issues will also minimize the differences. On the other hand the moire differences are minimal as well, so it's questionable whether Nikon even needs to make an 800.

Edited by loftus, 27 September 2012 - 06:36 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#4 Kogia

Kogia

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

I've got only the D800E, and have been using it mostly underwater, and only for still photos. I have not noticed any moire problems to date, and will probably buy another D800E for my next camera. You can read my notes and see photo samples at

http://www.reefphoto.com/kb.php?id=44

#5 PeteAtkinson

PeteAtkinson

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

Nice article Doug. Will you try the 16-35? I have one on order - Alex M's empressive corner sharpness persuaded me to switch from DX. I'll do some pool tests!

#6 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

I posted this feature by Doug, on to a FaceBook page for a group of users that keep berating me for not using a mirrorless camera!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#7 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1765 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

With due respect to Doug's images, I am pretty certain that the D800 could have captured them too. If you plan to shoot in carefully controlled underwater conditions, I can see an argument for the "E" version, but as Loftus has said, in the "wild", the loss of resolution as we shoot through water negates its advantages. The resolution advantage that the D800 offers (which can also be a disadvantage) is the key to capturing the details that Doug has done, not the anti-aliasing filter or lack of it.

That said, there does not seem to be a downside (beyond price) in the D800E. The moire problems don't seem to be an issue underwater either.

Separately, I am now shooting a 16-35 and can confirm that it is very sharp even at the corners, but only when used with a large dome. It does not look good with an 8" dome. Using the correct set up with extensions is also critical.

I have been shooting video with the D800 and it looks very good. I plan to post about this soon, so please stay tuned. I am also planning a D800 housing review, with side-by-side tests of current D800 housings which will be published here on Wetpixel in March-please stay tuned!

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#8 sharky1961

sharky1961

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 12:36 AM

Hi Adam,

did you already publish your findings on the D800 video capabilities??

Rob

Nikon D800 in Seacam D800,  Nikon 16mm, 16-35mm, , 60mm, 105mm,1.4 and 2x TC, 2x Sea&Sea 110a, 2x Seacam Seaflash 150

#9 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1765 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:08 PM

Hi Rob,

No, not yet. I am hoping that we can test it using a Ninja 2 as a part of the D800/D800E's advantage is a clean HDMI out, and would like to include that in the test.

Atomos (who make the Ninja) had spec'd it with an option to control it via LANC, which would make housing the recorder fairly straightforward. It seems now that they have abandoned this plan. Various manufacturers currently have housings in development, including Nauticam, Aquatica and Dive and See.

In the meantime, I have shot a fair amount of video with it, and can report that from a functional standpoint, it works fine. I run the HDMI signal to a Small HD monitor and have been using a Nikon 16-35mm zoom behind a Zen 230mm port. The camera's produces a clean video feed even at high ISO, which is very useful for underwater shooting. 

All the best

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook