#1 jcnavarro

jcnavarro

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:everything about underwater photos

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hi,

I want to share with you guys a link of my flickr account, here you will find a set of pictures of shark finning in the city of Manta in Ecuador. The situation there is a really mess, the fishermen are finning around of 2000 sharks daily and the authorities say nothing because they see that finning as the product of an incidental fishing. The fishing of sharks for finning purposes are prohibited by law, just the incidental fishing is allowed.........but whom is so stupid to think that 2000 sharks daily is the product of an incidental fishing?......obviously the authorities that are corrupted by money.

I begun a chain of post in my facebook account with some successful responses, some friends are sharing the album with other friends in differents countries, here, a local newspaper will use my pictures in a news article, the dark side is that I have received some threats and messages telling me to stop publishing more pictures, they are also trying to involve me with politicians against me. I´m not afraid of this, I will keep posting and doing all the necessary to stop this slaughter.

Thanks for your support, and sorry for my english.

Juan Carlos Navarro (jc)

#2 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

This is sad... Especially seeing the thresher sharks...

How is the diving at Ecuador, are sharks frequently seen?
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#3 Wossa

Wossa

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

Such terrible and desperate images, makes my blood boil with frustration and sadness to see this barbaric, needless slaughter of such precious and fragile creatures.

Good work Juan in taking a stand on this and I wish you well. I will be sharing these images to pass on your brave stance, I am sure there are many people here that are with you in spirit as you continue to hi-light this desperate situation.

Edited by Wossa, 27 September 2012 - 04:44 AM.

#4 Autopsea

Autopsea

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

Be very carefull when you are around Manta, drug dealers apparently use sharks fins/body to pass cocain around, and they do not like people to sniff around...

Edited by Autopsea, 27 September 2012 - 05:33 AM.

#5 Stan

Stan

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

I've been diving at Isla de la Plata for a local manta ray project (http://mantasecuador.org/) based in Puerto López a little way South of Manta, and we never see sharks on any of the dives. Apparently there used to be sightings of reef sharks frequently, but no longer. The smaller fishery in Puerto López also catches some sharks, but not in the same numbers caught in from Manta, and they're usually bringing in small hammerheads, and some threshers. What striking is how tiny all the sharks landed are, well below breeding age, which obviously rings alarm bells for sustainability.

#6 jcnavarro

jcnavarro

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:everything about underwater photos

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Xariatay, sorry for the delay in answer you but I do not check the forum frecuently. I have been diving here from 2 years ago and never see sharks, if you want to see them you must go to Galapagos where you can find then in almost every dive.
The sharks that are finning in Manta were catched more than 100 miles away from shore. The real problem is that the catch of sharks using a 20 miles line full of hooks is prohibited by law.

The diving here is very nice, you can find a lot of parrot fish, groupers, snappers, blennies, gobys, octopus, etc, the visibility is not the best but you can have 30 feet frecuently. Most of my dives are in islote el Pelado and the Plata island.

Thanks Wossa and Autopsea for your concern. Stan you are right, what you say is true.

Let me know if some day you want to come dive here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shark finning, Manta Ecuador, shark slaugther