19 replies to this topic

#1 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hi and thanks for reading!

I just received my new Hugyfot D800 housing.
Unfortunately - and against the dealers statement - the combination of the Athenas OPD-F170V Glass Dome and the Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye
vignettes badly because of the S&S -> Hugyfot Adaptor adding about 20mm more and that is too much.
Vignetting1.jpg

A try with the original Hugyfot 172mm acrylic dome show only a slight vignetting, but soft corners and the grinded edge of the dome.
HugyfotDomeNearFocus.jpg

Does anybody uses the Hugyfot D800 housing with the Sigma15mm Diagonal Fisheye and a +/- 170mm 6" glass dome and no vignetting?

Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#2 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:43 AM

Hi Chris,
I have a friend that uses the D700 in a Hugyfot housing with the 15 mm sigma and the original acrylic domeport and no issues at all. Topside you will see some 'vignetting' but underwater it will disappear because you lens will focus on the virtual image which is closer then the subject. Try it in a pool i'd recommend.
I use the new mineral glass minidome which is 4.5" in diameter. Recently they slightly redesigned it and now it's performing perfectly with the Sigma 15 mm FE, although topside you see still some of the shade. But underwater it's not visible when it's in focus.

Udo

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#3 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:40 AM

Hi Udo,
thanks for the quick reply.
I will try the acrylic port under water to see how he performs, while i already tried the Athenas port and he still is vignetting (see attached image)
I bought the Athenas Glass Dome especially for the D800 and i am rather frustrated that i spent a lot of money for nothing.
Sure i can crop the immage and the resolution of the D800 will still mask that, but i will still loose some degrees FOV of the Sigma.
I maybe should go for the Minidome and shave the Sigma to fit it.

Thanks and best regards

Chris

Attached Images

• InsideKT12Vignetting.jpg

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

#4 Udo van Dongen

Udo van Dongen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:34 AM

Hi Udo,
thanks for the quick reply.
I will try the acrylic port under water to see how he performs, while i already tried the Athenas port and he still is vignetting (see attached image)
I bought the Athenas Glass Dome especially for the D800 and i am rather frustrated that i spent a lot of money for nothing.
Sure i can crop the immage and the resolution of the D800 will still mask that, but i will still loose some degrees FOV of the Sigma.
I maybe should go for the Minidome and shave the Sigma to fit it.

Thanks and best regards

Chris

Hi Chris,
I can understand your frustration, i had the same with the first minidome from Hugyfot i received: i had to shave the sunshades of the domeport. Not something you'd expect after spending € 950,-. But they replaced it now (kuddos for that) with a new one that has the glass a few mm closer to the lens and it's perfect now (underwater only).

I totally agree with you: cropping out the corners is not an option. Resolution-wise it's OK, but you loose too much angle.
I would return the Athena port and get the money back and try the 4.5 " minidome, which is good. They adviced you wrong and that's not your fault. Make sure they deliver you the most recent version of the minidome (with only 4 bolts that hold the sunshade, instead of 8). You don't have to shave the Sigma lens BTW with this dome.

best, udo

But you also have the big acrylic Hugy Dome i read, why not stick to that one? because of scratches? They can be removed quit easily. And i don't think you'll be able to notice the difference between acrylic an glass domeports in the photos. I did quit some cover shots with acrylic domeports..

www.udovandongen.com
Nikon D800, D800E, Hugyfot housing, 15 mm fisheye, 16-35 mm WA, 105mm VR Macro, 60 mm Macro, Subsee +5 an +10 wet diopters, Inon Z-240 strobes (3x), Inon float arms, Nauticam armclamps, Bigblue and Inon focus lights.

check out more photos on the facebook

#5 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 01 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

I bought the D800 with the intention of using one lens (Sigma 15) and cropping to suit. I use both the Hugy acylic dome and the Sea & Sea (Athena) glass dome. I make the choice whether to clone in the corners of shots taken with the smaller glass dome (usually easy) or to crop depending on the subject matter or use the acrylic dome and polish it from time to time. It's difficult to see the difference but the (Athena) glass dome is so sharp it may be worth the sacrifice depending on what you are using the pictures for.
My pictures are usually cropped to an A-format (A4/A3) to suit magazines so the vignetting doesn't seem to matter. Having said all that, I recently found myself swimming with oceanic White-tips and wishing I had the glass dome because it was inevitable that I would be cropping in.
Too much choice sometimes doesn't help!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#6 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for your kind and quick answer,
i think that i will try to exchange the Athenas Dome with the Minidome and keep the acrylic dome for some experiments
with other medium WA Lenses.

I belive that the Athenas Glass Dome is of excellent build and optical quality and noticable better than the acrylic port,
i would be much cheaper to polish or change the port glass than a glass dome, but with a camera like the D800 i think
only the best is good enough.

Chris

#7 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Just a short update regarding the dome problem.
Finally i pulled the trigger and ordered the Hugyfot Minidome.
While the dome was ordered i received a test version of it, having with 8 screw to hold the sun shade and it still vignetted, showing all 4 tips of the sun shade.
Just a day before i left to Oman i received the new Hugyfot mini dome and it had - as Udo mentioned and suggested - only 4 screws to hold the sun shade.
Unfortunately the upper shade is still slightly visible in most of the pictures but it can cropped out without too much cropping and there are soft corners with
f-stops below 11.
But for the rest, the dome works flawless with the Sigma 15mm Diagonal Fisheye and i can recommend the use of it with this lens.
Chris

Attached Images

• _DSC2632.jpg

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 21 November 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#8 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:33 AM

I find that cloning in the corners is not a problem in most cases (as per this example) although I always have the option of the acrylic dome that does not vignette.

Attached Images

• _EBC3887.jpg

Edited by John Bantin, 02 December 2012 - 03:33 AM.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#9 bzugodive

bzugodive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:freediving - UW images

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:23 AM

Hello everyone,

Looks like this topic has been fully covered. Still, I didn't get all of it. Excuse my English :)

I have a 5D MK 2 Hugyfot Housing, an 8'' dome ( product number 6.608 ) and the 20 / 40 / 60 mm extensions.

Could anyone tell me if I ll have any problems using a Sigma 15 mm with this set up without having to crop the image ?

Could anyone help me on that one ?

Thanks for reading and maybe replying  :)

Safe dives

#10 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

Bzugodive,
the problem with the Sigma 15mm EX DG is that it is a very short lens.
This lead that the 180° field of view may see the bayonet of the dome and this eliminate the possibility to use any extension rings.
I belive that also the Hugyfot 5D MKII housing will work fine with the original Hugyfot 8'' dome port, but only without any extension or adapter ring! To make sure please contact Hugyfot, they are very helpful! Chris

#11 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:33 AM

I do not own a FF, but APS-C : canon 400D/XTi and now 550D/T2i. When

using a Samyang 8mm with no extension ring and the fisheye port, I do not

have any vignetting, nor topside or underwater.

I have a 5D MK 2 Hugyfot Housing, an 8'' dome ( product number 6.608 ) and the 20 / 40 / 60 mm extensions.

Could anyone tell me if I ll have any problems using a Sigma 15 mm with this set up without having to crop the image ?

I think fisheye port 6.608 is 174mm, being 6.85''.

I would also advice contacting Hugyfot directly, they offer great service.

#12 bzugodive

bzugodive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

So ... that's what I did. And here is their answer :

"The Sigma 15mm f2.8 requires a fisheye port. You can choose between the 7” acrylic dome or the 5” glass dome

The Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 requires the 7” acrylic dome and a 60mm extension ring."

:nea: 

Edited by bzugodive, 17 October 2014 - 01:54 PM.

#13 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:47 AM

Why the disapproving smiley face ? Just put on the 7'' dome and

go diving !

;)

#14 bzugodive

bzugodive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

The thing is that I have an 8'' dome ( actually I have two of them ). Still don't understand why a 7'' would work and the 8 wouldn't.

Will take the housing together with my 8'' dome and test them with the 15 mm in a shop...

#15 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:01 AM

Which brand is your 8'' dome port ? Does it require an adapter ?

I think vignetting in this topic is more about the position of the lens

to the dome, rather than the diameter of the dome port.

When the lens is too far in (example below), you will have trouble

focusing. When the lens is too far out you will get vignetting (and

probably trouble focusing too). If an adapter between the dome and

the housing is used then your nodal points might be off.

domeNodes.jpg

http://www.marinethe...domespacer.html

#16 bzugodive

bzugodive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:04 AM

It s a Hugyfot 8'' dome product number 6.608 ).

Thanks for the link !

#17 bzugodive

bzugodive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:31 AM

In case it helps someone ...

The 2 Hugy domes I have are in fact 7'' domes  ( product number 6.608 ) which fit perfectly with the Sigma 15 mm

I was persuaded to have 8'' domes as the previous owner had told me. Hugyfot doesn't manufacture any 8''.

Case solved :)

Edited by bzugodive, 21 October 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#18 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:25 AM

I was persuaded to have 8'' domes as the previous owner had told me. Hugyfot doesn't manufacture any 8''.

I already told you so ;) :

I think fisheye port 6.608 is 174mm, being 6.85''.

Edited by FanchGadjo, 21 October 2014 - 05:25 AM.

#19 bzugodive

bzugodive

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

j'avais pas capté  :crazy:

#20 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Moray Eel

• PipPip