• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

KirkD - The +10 SubSee is 200g in water and the +5 SubSee is 140g in water. On land, they are 345g and 240g, respectively.

The new SubSee adapters do not use a set screw design like in the past (or like the Aquatica mounts). Instead, we use a circumferential o-ring clamp system, which applies an even pressure around the entire port, holding it in place much tighter than ever before.

In the worst case, when using a dual-hinge adapter with both the +5 and +10 lenses installed, it will add approximately 0.75lb to the rig. I don't often hear people complain about this, but you could certainly add a float belt around the port to compensate.

Keri
--
Keri Wilk | ReefNet Inc. | www.reefnet.ca | 888-819-REEF or 905-608-9373

If it would not be to kuch trouble, could you post a picture of this new mount. The picture on the website shows 3 screws. Thanks

#42 Marsh

Marsh

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

I choose the Aquatica over the Subsee for my NEX7 system because it is considerably smaller and lighter. The diopter has excellent glass and has given me sharp responses with very little CA (see hair on crab below). It's been excellent, especially used on APS-C sensor cameras. The new larger and heavier Subsee's are designed for FF, along with the Aquatica I believe, so it works great with cropped sensors. Plus, you can mount 52mm filters or lens cap to the front, something I higly recommend, as a boatman laid the rig down face up into the glaring hot Thai sun and fried my camera len's aperture in a couple of minutes from the sun's magnified and focused rays passing through the diopter. Fortunately, my 25MP NEX 7 sensor was spared. The diopter doesn't come with a cap, but any 52mm lens cap will work.  Nikon makes a nice one with a strap. Now I cover the diopter before I get to the surface and hand the camera to the boat person.

I use the A+10 with my 18-55mm Sony zoom and a Nauticam swing mount that lets me use the 18mm for some mild wide angle to normal lens coverge or go to 45-55 with the Aquatica+10 for decent close macro. It's a nice versatile single dive set-up.

Some recent photos with 18-55 zoom and Aquatica +10:

Attached Images

• PG Nudi 1.jpg
  • Yellow Corral Solo Abstract 1-F-Small.jpg
  • PG Red Crap 2.jpg

Edited by Marsh, 05 June 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#43 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:58 AM

Love my SubSee magnifiers! Took a little to get the right technique down pat but now I've got the hang I'm

slowly building a collection of shots I've been after for some time. Loving the detail!

http://www.flickr.co.../tags/subsee10/

Cheers,

Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diopter, +5, +10, Aquatica, SubSee, Super macro