6 replies to this topic

#1 2ge

2ge

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

Hi guys,

I am going to upgrade my old cameras, I started with Ixus 860, followed by G11, I started to make some underwater shooting with Sanyo HD2000 until my case was recently broken. I was quite happy with Sanyo (for that price a lot of music, check uw videos here), currently G11 is also broken, so we can say, I am without camera now.

I really like to shoot video. I really like to make a pictures. What I don't like is to edit the footage and kill 1 day to make 5 minutes video, but thats another story.

After spent some days infront of computer I decide to buy Panasonic GH2, it seems like the best option for me, if somebody got any other idea for camera, you are welcome. You may ask for budget...let say, budget would be around 3000 USD or even more.

So, let's say, I choose a camera Panasonic GH2. It comes with two different lenses, I guess it is "better" to buy more expensive ones, of course I want to shoot some photos on the land also.

Underwater housing - Nauticam or 10bar? Is 10bar so much worse (what about dome availability?), I should choose Nauticam?

Lenses - which lenses do you suggest? I saw some really wide footage, which was too wide, I didn't like it much, for me, it was quite nice, what I did with my wet macro lens DC-20, it can be a little bit more wide. Also I like to make a macro photo/video, so I would need some macro too. I guess 45 macro and 7-14mm would be good start

Lights - my friend got Inon Z240, it is amazing light. The question is, is this kind of light suitable for my needs ? I want to shoot video in first, photos come after. Do you know some good video lights, which can serve also as good photo light ? Or I can buy 2 lights, one better for photo, another one better for video ? Please suggest.

I am sorry, if some of my questions doesn't make much sense, I am completely new to m43/dslr so please bear with me.
My videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/BranoGege
My photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/gege2ge
Panasonic GH2 in Nauticam, 7-14mm, 14-42mm PZ, Diopter +10, 2xSola 4000

#2 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi, The Nauticam GH2 housing is now discontinued so you'd need to find a retail outlet with remaining stock. The fact it is an old system would make me consider waiting for a second hand set to appear on the market. Alternatively, I'd consider a more recent camera such as the Olympus OMD-EM5 or the Panasonic GH3 when it is released.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#3 2ge

2ge

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hi Alex,

thanks a lot for answer, so I don't have to write to Nauticam, I check their .com site and yes - this housing is not even available, so I would be forced to buy either 2nd hand, or 10bar housing. I just not clearly understand, the Nauticam, company is living from making housing stops producing this, when GH2 is one of the best cameras out there, and housing for GH3 will be ready let say in 5 months...so there is quite big gap between. I understand developing of housing is expensive, but then production should cheap. It would be nice to read how it is in reality, maybe I am wrong.

Anyway, I decided bought GH2 for its video (yes, because exists hack, if there is not hack, I would go to OMD-EM5 I think). EM5 is making better pictures, but in video falls I think.

GH3 is not option for now, because I dont want to wait another 6 months to make footage underwater.

#4 vagabonder

vagabonder

Starfish

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

I went for a Panasonic GX1 with a Nauticam housing, According to Mr.A. Mustard it's better for video than a Olympus EM-D. The price is also lower.

#5 Kevster

Kevster

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:39 AM

You wil need a larger budget , 3000 is not enough.

The 2 lens that you mention 7-14mm & 45 mm will cost $1500.
Then add 2 ports for these 2 lens,close to $1000,
strobe,video light, camera, housing. Expect total approx $5000!!
The inon Z240 is a good strobe. Also check out S2000, smaller & cheaper. You need strobes for photo & lights for video.
Check out Light & motion 1200 video lights. For wide angle you will need 2 strobes & 2 video lights! Perhaps buy the video lights 1st and see if you are happy to use these for photos. Strobes will generally be more powerful compared to video lights.

I would recommend you wait a couple of months and go for the Gh3.
GH2, NA-GH2, 8mm,14mm,25mm,45mm,14-42x mm,14-140mm,100-300mm

#6 2ge

2ge

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Kevster, thanks for nice answer, sure $3000 is meant to be without lights, strobes, lights, thats expensive thing, and I never use it before. I would like to know, if it is possible to combine one Strobe and one Light, or it is completely wrong idea ? When using strobes, I heard it is good to have one powerful strobe, and other one less powerful, so here it comes to my mind strobe/light good combination. With video lights, for sure, 2 powerful lights are ok, but maybe one should be enough for start too.

GH3 is expensive, no housing for it, and doesnt bring much extra comparing to GH2 (hacked version), so I am not sure if I want to wait.

Vagabonder, yes, if GH2 fails for some reason, GX1 is on the list too :) By the way, do you miss EVF ?

#7 underexposed

underexposed

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:51 PM

I've been using my GH2 in a 10Bar housing since it came out. The dome port I have only works from about 9 to 14 but is does the trick. I really like the housing and how the controls work. For me it is very easy to use. I like to go deep at times so I needed a housing rated past 200ft.

Lenses I use most are the 45 macro and 7-14. Don't have the fisheye but can assume it's a good underwater lens as well not sure how it would work with the 10Bar dome though.

I have not shot a lot of video with the camera but here's a link to some un-hacked stuff I did. I've got some cool macro stuff I think looks good but it is not uploaded.

Posted Image

Edited by underexposed, 31 October 2012 - 09:52 PM.

Underexposed
A.K.A. Mark
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gh2