#1 Rui_Guerra

Rui_Guerra

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

Hi every one,

I'm moving to a full frame D800.
My question is about the very useful Tokina 10-17 mm lens. I know that there is a new version (NH) without hood to increase the image area in full frame cameras. But, does the image at 10mm be a full circle or does it get cropped by the top/bottom image edges?

Anyone has a picture made with this lens at 10mm in a full frame camera? And if not, anyone has a better lens suggestion to achieve that kind of image with the same kind of flexibility?

Thanks,

Edited by Rui_Guerra, 02 October 2012 - 08:06 AM.

Rui Guerra
Underwater Photography
http://www.photoguerra.net

#2 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hi Rui,

I think to get full circle you need a focal length of 8mm or less.

If you are using Canon cameras, the 8-16mm should give you both the full circle effect and some flexibility. Optically it is a better lens than the Tokina too.

I don't think there is an alternative in a Nikon fit. It would be possible to use a Sigma 15mm though, for example, and add the round vignette post-capture.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#3 Rui_Guerra

Rui_Guerra

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your reply.
I don't use Canon. My camera is a Nikon D800, so I think that there isn't a lens equivalent to that one of Canon.
The other problem will be the very high camera's resolution witch only be useful with a good lens, so my question is somehow a double one, that is, a fisheye lens with the circular effect and that as a very high sharpness...
Rui Guerra
Underwater Photography

#4 adamhanlon

adamhanlon

Harbor Seal

• Admin
  • 1735 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hi Rui,

You are correct in that there is no equivalent lens for Nikon.

I tested the 10-17mm with the D800 as a part of the Wetpixel review and found that the camera really showed up the flaws in the lens.

Sigma offer an 8mm f3.5 FX lens, which will do the full circle and is, I believe, sharp. It is not a zoom though, so you are forced to use full circle the whole dive!

You can get some quite dramatic effects with a conventional fisheye with Snell's window-although not full circle.

Posted Image

With the D800's resolution, the option of adding the full circle in Photoshop is possibly a good one.

Adam

Adam Hanlon-underwater photographer and videographer
Editor-wetpixel
web | Flickr | twitter | Linkedin | Facebook

#5 Rui_Guerra

Rui_Guerra

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the link for you very good review of the D800. I have also read the post concerning this review and the photos made by Udo van Dogen (thanks, Udo :-)) comparing the sharpness of the Tokina vs Sigma were very clarifying indeed.

So, no more doubts. I do not consider the Tokina a viable option for the high quality D800 camera.

Cheers,
Rui Guerra
Underwater Photography

#6 Scubysnaps

Scubysnaps

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, Aprilia RSVR, VW Vans! www.scubysnaps.com

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:47 AM

wow! cool shot Adam :)
Cheers
Paul

*Nikon D90 with Tokina 10-17 & Nikon 60mm, 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Kenko1.4 * 2 x Z240 & 2 x 12 litres...global! *

www.scubysnaps.com >)))>

#7 Carcharodon

Carcharodon

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

To have a full benefit for Full Frame, at 15-17, there is a company that cuts the shade.

Remember that the NH model has no shade for full frame format but anly from 14mm due to the sensor size.

http://www.360pano.d...igma-nikon.html

Regards