• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

I just bought a D600 which of course (unfortunately) means updating software too if I want access to RAW files.

I've always been a photoshop user although I did use Nikon Capture for a while along with CS1 when there was some sort of integration. I currently use CS5 with my D7000. Now I'm stuck with upgrading to CS6 if I want to open NEF files for the new camera. Adobe released the new version of Camera Raw today with support for the D600.

So what is the difference between Lightroom and photoshop? Should I be using lightroom instead of photoshop? I'm really a beginner to PS and mainly use it for RAW control and things like exposure, WB, color adjustments etc. I do go to black and white and HDR in PS. I don't really ever do any image manipulation so I don't need the "graphic arts" features in PS.

So, which product is better and for what? Which one do I want and if Adobe has Elements, why do they also have Lightroom?

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85

#2 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3029 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 03 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

Congrats on the new camera! Here is a good article on the choice between Lightroom and Photoshop. There is also a bunch of history here on Wetpixel if you try a search.

Good luck,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
My Images on Flikr

Canon7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#3 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

I use photoshop and lightroom. I use LR the vast majority of the time and run some through CS6. However, there is one additional option you may want to look at. You could down load the Adobe's free DNG convertor and then use CS5 with bridge to edit your photos if you don't want to upgade. You can get it here:

http://www.adobe.com...latform=Windows

Hope this help. At least you would be able to start to use your D600 RAW images immediately.

Kirk

#4 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1522 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Why don't you download both and play with them for a month. Then you will know what suits you best.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#5 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

I would suggest you start with LightRoom for both image modifications and storage . Then if you want more go with Elements. For the photographer, it has all you need. Full up Photoshop has over 1500 commands, 90% of which you will never use. It was initially developed for publishers.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#6 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

I use Lightroom for storage of my rather extensive collection of digital photos and for basic editing before uploading them.
For further or in deep editing or corrections - especially backscatter removal - i use Photoshop even if Lightroom has a similar function.
I consider Lightroom as a very useful tool for a low price.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#7 UWphotoNewbie

UWphotoNewbie

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks, I'll try a free download of lightroom. It sound like lightroom is a better simplified companion to photoshop than is elements.

UWPhotoNewbie: Not such a newbie to diving and UW photography.

Nikon D70: 60 mm, 11-16mm, 105mm, 15mm, 10.5mm

Ikelite iTTL Housing, dual Ikelite DS125

Nikon D600 topside 14-24, 28-300, 70-200, 35,50,85