#1 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

[youtubehd]dtasDLgYKlg[/youtubehd]
Can anyone help me?
A night dive video at Lembeh with OMD, the video appear strange with horizontal scanning movement.
What is that ?
My setting for video is 1920x1080 fine, with a single LED video light.
The raw .mov file play with Olympus viewer 2 appear the same.

Thank you.

Regards
Edmond

#2 r4e

r4e

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

A night dive video at Lembeh with OMD, the video appear strange with horizontal scanning movement.
What is that ?

My guess is that this is interference between exposure time and the (adjustable) LED lamp. Especially adjustable lamps are likely to have pulse width modulation (PWM) to adjust the brightness of the lamp. In this case the PWM frequency is in the same range as the exposure time of the camera. You should be able to get rid of the interference either by a) adjusting your lamp to max intensity (continuous light) or b) by lengthening the exposure time of your camera. For both of these, you'll need to adjust the sensitivity or gain of the camera.

Edited by r4e, 07 October 2012 - 07:46 PM.

vimeo.com/r4e

http://www.cerella.fi for the Underwater Photographer and Videographer

#3 edmond320

edmond320

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:55 PM

Hi r4e,
Thank you very much for your information, will adjust it accordingly to remove the flickering.
Thank you !!

Regards
Edmond

#4 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

This is one I have never seen before. R4e presents a good explanation..thanks. Always learniing
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#5 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1990 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

What light were you using Edmond?

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:58 AM

Yup, shutter speed. From the looks of things, you probably need to set it to 1/50 or 1/60 (or multiples of them) to match the 100 or 120hz of the LED light source. Same for fluorescent lights etc. Cameras can "catch" the flicker, which gives that effect.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:36 AM

I wonder if a 'rolling shutter' filter might fix the issue in the footage. I tend to doubt it but it would be worth the experiment.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.