7 replies to this topic

#1 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

I have two weeks off in March, 2013. Been a lot of places, and I am seeking something new. Love super-macro, but appreciate wide angle opportunities, but big stuff is not my priority. Probably traveling solo, so huge single supplements are not appealing. Liveaboards are not desirable, as I am done with them for a while. (Man, I am picky, but somewhat claustrophobic). I am looking for relaxed diving with amenities and good guiding, and not in the Caribbean. Bali and Lembeh have been done numerous times...looking for a different opportunity. Any suggestions out there for someone based on the west coast of Canada??? Contacts appreciated.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#2 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

Anilao in Philippines maybe? Great for macro & more reasonably priced than some other destinations. About a 2 hr drive south of Manila.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#3 Luko

Luko

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Okay... since you like Lembeh and Bali : how about Ambon which combines Lembeh level macro and great reefs on top? Maluku divers for instance, fantastic guiding, Rhinopias bonanza all-you-can-shoot, if you're into budget I can also recommend Blue Rose divers in Ambon (Robert is my favorite guide in Indo) and some decent but basic accoms nearby.
if you need to see something else on top with gorgeous beaches you can take a ferry and stay 4-5 days at Cape Paperu on Saparua island nearby. A bit expensive, though but you're nearby paradise, if you want much more basic, I know other adresses too.
Connexion to Ambon is direct and 4-5 times daily from Jakarta.

Philippines is a good idea too : arriving in Cebu city you can do some island hopping on a safari boat (overnight on land) with Sea Explorers, 4-5 islands in 10 days time. Philippines always comes on top of the list when good bio guiding is wanted.
Pls have a look at my Flickr photo gallery and leave a comment.
Galleries in Pbase : Ambon & Maluku, Bangka & Bali, Komodo & Maumere, Moalboal, Mabul & Sipadan.
Vanuatu incl.SS Pres.Coolidge wreck.

#4 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

If you like macro and muck, then Anilao and Lembeh are the spots. I've been to both on numerous trips and really like Anilao.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#5 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks, both Ambon and Anilao are being considered.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#6 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

Anilao, it is! :)
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com

#7 alansen

alansen

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:14 PM

Anilao!!

#8 WanderingBob

WanderingBob

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Anilao, it is! Posted Image

Nice. I have been looking for a warm place to fend off some of Alaska's winters. The Philippines were suggested as an option. Would love to check it out. I look forward to a trip report.

Lovely website. You get around as much as me! ;^) Enjoy!
Nurse Bob on
Alaska's Kenai Peninsula
http://www.facebook....8...64&ref=name