• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Reefwreck

Reefwreck

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:42 AM

Lionfish taken at Shark's Point, Phuket, Thailand.
Olympus 5050
PT-015
Inon Z-220
f6.3
1/250s
Macro mode
ISO 64

Critique and suggestions on how this shot could have been improved are most welcome. I'm still in the early stages of learning. Thanks.

Posted Image
Nikon D200, Micro-Nikkor 70-180mm with Nikon 6T Close-up lens, NEXUS Housing, Inon Z-220 and Z-240, Sea&Sea TTL Converter

BLOG

http://allenhost.com/gallery/reefwreck

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 06:41 AM

I think that this is a very good image of a dwarf lionfish, which are rarely cooperative subjects. The main subject is all well lit, and I like the diagonal composition.

But imagine replacing the dwarf lionfish with a normal lionfish. Would this still be a good shot? I think it is a very publishable ID image, but otherwise it would be a bit dull.

You could try lengthening your exposure to get a blue rather than black background. Blue water would work well with the red fish (assuming that this was a daytime shot). In addition the fish is very parallel to the camera and the image would be improved if the fish was facing the camera a bit more and wasn't head down into the coral.

But as I said at the top, these are not usually easy subjects and you have done well to get down to eye level and produce a strong image.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).