Flip Diopter?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Interests:Water Rescue (Public Safety Diving) - yeah, I'm a mud crawler.

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:38 AM

Hi folks,

I am currently using a Canon HF-S30 housed in a Light and Motion Bluefin housing. Although it is not supposed to work, by some selective modifications to the front threads on the camcorder, I have been able to fit the L&M flip diopter into the housing. While this does work, there is some vignetting on the left side of the image, and I would like to get something better. I have been looking at a Subsee setup which allows the choice of either a +5 or a +10 flip lens, or the MacroMate flip lens that Backscatter sells for the Light and Motion housing. Any thoughts on these two flip diopters, or are there other choices that I should consider?

Thanks for your advice.
Canon Vixia HF-S30, L&M Bluefin Pro
Public Safety Diver

#2 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1922 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

It's better to use an achromatic diopter such as a Century Optics one, if you can find a way to fit it into your setup. But they're thick and expensive. Look at the sticky thread on these.

Look at my old thread to see what achromatic aberrations look like, and how the Century overcomes them.

Edited by Nick Hope, 08 October 2012 - 08:33 PM.

#3 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:45 AM

To optimize the optics, I agree completely that an achromat would be the way to go. Unfortunately, there is very, very little room between the front lens of the camcorder and the front port (flat) of the housing. The expense doesn't really worry me, since the MacroMate or a full SubSee setup would end up a costing similar amount. It is really the physical mounting of a screw on lens that would a problem.

I also like the idea of being able to switch mid-dive between macro and wide angle shots, hence my interest in a flip lens of some sort. Thanks very much for the help, though.
Public Safety Diver

#4 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:29 AM

Anyone? Can anyone give me some suggestions?
Public Safety Diver

#5 wydeangle

wydeangle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

SwiftFF5,

I have the SubSee +5 and +10 diopters with the flip-out holder. I bought them partly on the statement on their web site that reads "virtually eliminate pincushion distortion and chromatic aberration" since they are multi-element lenses. I have used the Century diopters and can recommend them - only above water, though. Wouldn't fit my housing either. The SubSee ones are about as thick as the Centurys.

Alas, no data yet - I haven't tried them.

Maybe someone else who has can chime in here. I plan to try them "real soon now!"

Also, you could query the SubSee folks - Keri and family seem to be pretty straight shooters and could likely answer your specific questions.

Tom

#6 ScubaBob

ScubaBob

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I've used the SubSee +10 flip diopter for the past couple of years with my Sony/Gates HC7 gates setup. The versatility of being able to flip the diopter in for macro shots is well worth the money spent. I used various single element diopters over the years, ultimately sticking with a +10 for most of my dives. While I was able to get decent results, I was locked into macro for the dive - not even able to get medium range shots at all.
My Videos on Vimeo | YouTube
Panasonic DMC-GH2 | Nauticam NA-GH2 Housing
Light & Motion Sola 4000 Video Lights
Lenses/Ports: Lumix 7-14mm and Oly 12-50mm / SubSee +10

#7 Minkyd

Minkyd

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:05 AM

I have tried the SubSee +10 flip diopter on my canon 500 d in Sea & Sea housing and I find the 60mm lens won't auto focus, just keeps hunting. Am I doing something wrong.

#8 SwiftFF5

SwiftFF5

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:12 AM

Thanks for the helpful advice folks.
Public Safety Diver