6 replies to this topic

#1 b2003

b2003

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:D800 housings and lenses

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

I just returned from a 2 week liveaboard divetrip to Raja Ampat and the Cenderawasih Bay whalesharks with my new D800 and Nauticam housing. The pictures were amazing, however that is not the subject of my current problem. I downloaded my NEF files daily from my CF card to a late 2010 Macbook Air using Nikon Transfer Mac ver 1.5.2. I kept my original cards except in one case where I copied the data of one CF card to an extra SD card and overwrote the source CF card when I feared I would run short of CF cards. I used Nikon Transfer to make this "safe copy" transfer. Bottom line, I have all my original CF cards, save one which has been 100% overwriten, a Macbook Air SSD HD with all card pictures transfered via Nikon Transfer. The problem is the NEF files are corrupt and can't be read by any (Captiue NX2, PS CS6, Lightroom, Bridge View NX2) software (all latest ver) ...... period. Adobe Camera Raw is 100% current and supports D800. While in Indonesia, I assumed the problem was Camera Raw, even though I downloaded the latest ver before I left, the D800 was too new for it. I have used a D300 for 5 years with Transfer without a problem so assumed it would work with the D800. None of my NEF's will open, period. After I got home, I had no internet in PNG, I have pounded the WEB and now see posts showing up stating that Nikon Transfer, all versions, corrupt the NEF file header irreversibly...... Solution is to make sure you use your computer operating system to drag & drop the files from your CF card to your computer and not use Nikon Transfer. I can overwite all but one of my CF cards which I blottod, 100% overwite; non recoverable. There is absolutely no recognition I can fing on Nikon's website. This is incredible and there is apparently no Fix. Sure, I will never use Transfer again, but I want a fix for my one card. Please, I don't need a lecture to always keep the source card, or advice to uce Rescue Pro to recover what I can. There is no recovery, card is 100% overrriten with NEFs. I did keep the source i just copied it from one card to another, unfortunately with the offendibg program. Carpure NX2 opens the thumbnail embedded JPG in the NEF which is garbage considering the corrupt NEF data, and I did shoot a small JPG in the camera which is OK, but again a massive disappointment to have to use out of a D800! I sure would appreciate you guys addressing my problem and also somebody needs to scream from the rafters to D800 users not to use transfer....... ever.

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

Arghhhh That Sucks!
Thanks for informing us about this issue!!!
I always copy them from the SD disk to my hard disk and import them in lightroom to see if everything went well.
Then i maybe make another backup or format the card to have it ready for the next pictures.
Chris

P.S. There are some treads about this issue here:
http://nikonrumors.c...pic.php?id=5578
http://www.planetnik...showtopic=17290
http://forums.adobe....message/4466065

And Nikons statement: https://nikoneurope-...tail/a_id/53027

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 09 October 2012 - 07:15 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 KirkD

KirkD

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the nfo. I eould never even think that the importimg software would currupt the files. Luckily, I have enough cards that I dont have to reuse them. I come back from my dive trips woth 3 copies: one on the memory card and a copy each in my external hard drives.

Kirk

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:10 AM

I've experienced difficulty transfering direct from the camera but not if I take the card out and transfer with a separate card reader.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

I think Nikon software simply sucks. I know the purists prefer Capture NX, but the programs are just so clunky compared to Lightroom, Aperture or Photomechanic that I just can't justify ever using them.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#6 boardhead

boardhead

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

There is a utility to repair these corrupted NEF images:

http://owl.phy.queen...rupted_nef.html

- Phil

#7 Jacob Desuza

Jacob Desuza

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

Having Corrupted D800 NEF Files? Do you want to repair and recover them? If yes then, need not to worry because now it has become possible to retrieve damaged, corrupted, lost or deleted NEF files from Nikon digital camera, memory card or from any other place. In order to do so I have used Photo Recovery Mac Software on my Mac machine and you know what, I have done it successfully. It is really very efficient tool to bring back all pictures which has become inaccessible somehow. Generally NEF RAW images get corrupted when its file system get affected with severe virus attack or when it get damaged either physically or logically. Whatever be the reason, this software will recover and restore your photographs in its original format. For More Information Visit:-  http://nikon.photorecoveryrmac1.com