• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Julian D

Julian D

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hi. I’m a newbie and the attached are from my first time out with my new d7000/housing. Not particularly interesting photos I know, but I only had an hour so I gave it a go snorkelling with no strobes.

I plan to return with scuba gear and more time to work on composition etc and maybe add a model. This spot is a freshwater spring (amazingly clear & cold) and is surrounded on most sides with high bush. What hit me was the fluctuation in light levels as clouds came past. And how parts of the spring in shade had really low light levels.

It’s hard to get to this spot and I would really appreciate some input about what kind of light I should aim for eg if I try at mid-day to maximise light is this likely to blow out the contrast/highlights on the vegetation etc? I could try a lightly overcast day for more even lighting but I think light levels will be too low? Is it best to just go for as much light as possible in these situations?

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

20121006-DSC_0615.jpg
20121006-DSC_0680.jpg
20121006-DSC_0701.jpg

#2 Undertow

Undertow

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

good stuff for your first time, especially #3. Generally water really sucks the contrast from the light so if you're aiming for a landscape-style shot i'd say keep it sunny. There are plenty of situations where cloudy is better, but not yours methinks. Light will be too flat.

As far as midday vs late sun, both can be great depending on how you shoot (midday isn't too harsh as often true topside). I'd say do both, get there midday and stay for the later light, especially if its remote. Play with the shadows later in the day. Exposure can be tough but experiment, the D7000 has good dynamic range. Try going into the shadows and shooting out to the light, exposing for the light to get that frame-within-a-frame idea that you're 3rd photo above kinda does.

Shoot with the sun, shoot against the sun. Play with snell's window like in your 1st pic (angle at which you can see through the surface to the sky/trees above). Shoot reflections like the 3rd pic. Try more over/unders like the 2nd. Experiment. Then post your results. A great start though. Cheers,

Chris
D200, Aquatica, 10.5, sig 15, 12-24, 17-55, 60, 105
3x SB-105

#3 Julian D

Julian D

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for your input Chris - I really appreciate it. I'll take those ideas with me when I go there next (unfortunately it will be in about a month) and post again. I'll head there around mid-day and stay through till it looses the sun and experiment as the light changes. Composition obviously but with a tank on I'll have time to improve my focus point/DOF settings which I think are lacking in the above.

I think this spot has the potential to get a great photo - I just need to work out how. The last photo above is looking through about 60ft of water so it is super clear. At certain times of the year (winter) it has some big rainbow trout in it so that might become a separate project!

Thanks again.