• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

"At 10 a.m. Wednesday morning, President Laura Chinchilla, flanked by Environment Minister René Castro and noted conservationist and owner of Virgin Records Richard Branson, signed a decree that bans the practice of shark finning, as well as the importation and exportation of shark fins."

This is fabulous news! Fishermen, particularly Taiwanese fishermen, have long been exploiting loopholes in Costa Rican laws by using ports such as Puntarenas to land their fin cargoes, some of which included sharks caught in and near protected marine reserves such as Cocos Island. Assuming CR enforces this ban I'm sure the fishermen will move to other countries to export their catches but the more difficult it becomes for them, the fewer sharks will die--I hope.

-Gina

#2 focker

focker

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:10 PM

Wow this is excellent news! Thanks for posting. :)
Nauticam 550 w/ T2i - Zen 100 - Inon Z240 - Tokina 10-17 - Canon 60mm - Sola 600

#3 xariatay

xariatay

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

More links: http://www.herald.ie...an-3257063.html
http://www.virgin.co...y-in-costa-rica "Also spoke with the Minister about supporting manta rays being protected under CITES. There is a UN CITES meeting in March, at which he will support the protection of the manta rays as well." :-)
Help End the slaugther of Dolphins in Taiji! Petition Site
G9, UN macro lens (MIA in Buyat Bay), no strobe. My Dive Blog

#4 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

Letter to Richard Branson - Modern Day Conservation Hero
Richard Branson - Top 10 Nations Protecting the Oceans
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#5 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

The Cocos Islands has always been my home away from home and have dove there 13 trips that I have led since my first time there in 92. It has long been a World Heritage Site and yet remains unprotected from the shark finners and long liners. There is only 1 small craft, the Marveva, that is to be used to protect the islands but more often than not, it is at anchor not being used. My last trip there, it never left anchor even once. On that same trip, our skiff rode out to Alcyone but had to cancel the dive as the line leading down was so wrapped up in new long lines as to make the descent downright dangerous. All one has to do is go to the ships control room and look at the radar at night and you will see up to 20 different craft waiting to come in under the dark of night to set their lines and do their dirty deeds. Costa Rica has notoriously avoided confrontation and has been egregiously ignoring the enforcement of their own laws. For those going to dive the Cocos, if you do it at the right time of year, you will have fantastic time. That said, over the last 20 years I and many of my returning guests have witnessed the decline of marine life there, and in some cases, whole species have disappeared i.e.. Silvertips at Silverado.
Sadly, I hate to be the cynic here but I doubt there will be much improvement, but the ecological grandstanding by some organizations and individuals will continue.

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.