Photo
- - - - -

Backpack for traveling? What do you recommend?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 haring

haring

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:08 AM

What is your recommendation for a large backpack for traveling?

Currently I have the Medium Tenba rolling backpack: http://www.tenba.com....ium-Black.aspx
The problem is that it is not comfortable to have it on your back. It is more a rolling back. I would have something which I can carry on my back for an hour without killing me. I shoot a lot of destination weddings and the way I carry my gear is very important.

I want a backpack, which is:

- large
- fits into most airplanes bag compartment
- waterproof, and
- durable.

It doesn't have to have wheels.

Can you recommend me anything?

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

I am happy with my LoewePro Vertex 300
big, fits overhead compartment, laptop compartment and some small pockets for cards, money, keys, etc.
Some bodies and/or lenses go in my photographer vest, the rest inside the Vertex.
Chris

Edited by ChrigelKarrer, 14 October 2012 - 12:32 AM.

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 gina

gina

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

What is your recommendation for a large backpack for traveling?

After going through a few different packs I finally settled on one I love: the Calumet small photo backpack, which is nowhere near as small as its name implies. It comfortably fits two DSLR bodies, three or four lenses, two strobes, chargers, accessories, and a laptop. It has padded velcro dividers so you can rearrange the interior space as needed. It is a well-designed backpack with padded straps and hip belt so you can tote around a pretty heavy load without getting sore. There are no wheels or hard framing to dig into your back.

The pack is "water-resistant" so it should keep gear dry in case of damp weather. I've used one true waterproof pack before (one of the Lowepro Dry Zones) but it was difficult to get into and I found I never needed the extra water protection (e.g. I don't carry non-housed gear in a small, wet boat).

I did choose this model over some of the larger (huge!) backpacks out there because it carries a lot but at the same time doesn't look outrageously big so there's less of a chance of airport personnel asking me to weigh the bag.

-Gina

#4 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:30 PM

I have two, a LowePro and the ThinkTank Accelerator. The ThinkTank is super roomy: I can fit two bodies, a 500mm, a 70-200mm, a couple other lenses as well as several other bits. Sleek lines make it appear nor so big, but I haven't tried to get it on an Asian carrier yet. A bit pricey, buy I really like it.

Phil

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#5 diver dave1

diver dave1

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts
  • Interests:chess, u/w photography

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

I use a Lowepro Vertex 200AW and love it. Fits in overhead compartments with no trouble.
Small enough that they let me take a roller on as well with it. They tell me I have to fit the pack under the seat when I have the roller but if I wait until they turn away, I still get it overhead.

Nauticam D7000, Inon Z-240's, 60 micro, 105 micro, Tokina 10-17

www.shiningseastudio.com

#6 haring

haring

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Finally, I ended up getting the Lowepro Vertex 200AW for my destination weddings. I hope it will serve me well!

#7 Stoo

Stoo

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

I've been considering the F-Stop Loka as an alternative to my Pelican 1510. They get rave reviews, mostly on ski-mountaineering forums, but it has more useable space than the Pelican, is still "overhead legal" and has a great warranty. You can only buy them onlne, but returns are no problem, other than you're out the shipping cost.

I'd love to hear of anyone here using one...

They ain't cheap!

Stu

http://fstopgear.com...t/mountain/loka

Edited by Stoo, 16 May 2013 - 01:44 PM.