Photo
- - - - -

Do you use gels/light modifiers underwater?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 haring

haring

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

Do you use gels/light modifiers underwater? If yes, what kind?

I would like to change the color of light and I am looking into way as how to do it....

I have Ikelite strobes....

Thanks!

#2 ChrigelKarrer

ChrigelKarrer

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:26 AM

experiment wit Lee Gels,
stick them on the original diffuser or directly on the port wit some removable rubber-sticks or buis a holder for them.
I just received the INON Color Correcting Diffuser for my Z-240 and it looks as they work well.
Chris

Nikon D800 - Sigma 15mm - Nikon 105mm Micro VR - Hugyfot Housing - 3 Inon Z-240 strobes - 2x2 8'' ULCS arms

Canon G12 with Patima aluminium housing - Fuji E900 with Ikelite housing
Visit My Costa Rica Website - Visit My Italy Website

#3 haring

haring

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

Thanks so much! I will check them out!

#4 Aussiebyron

Aussiebyron

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

To help in answering your question accurately haring we need to know what Ikelite strobes which you are using and what effect you are trying to achieve. Ikelite Ds125/160/161 strobes have a colour temperature of 4800K which gives a warmer effect to shots, especially wide angle. Thats why you see alot of wide angle photographers use the bigger Ikelite strobes for this purpose. The Ikelite DS50/51 has a colour Temperature of 5700K and the Inon Z240 have a 5500K temp which gives a whiter light which gives the images a cooler feel. The higher temp of the Inon z240's see alot of people use Colour correcting diffusers/filters on the strobe to lower the temperature and give a warmer feeling for wide angle. On the other hand my experience with the Ikelite's with the 4800K temp give a more orange tint to macro images. I adjust the colour temp in post processing or sometimes just a fine adjustment in colour settings for my Ikelite Ds161 and macro shots.

Here is an article from Dr Mustard explaining more: http://www.amustard....olour&subpage..

Hope this helps

Regards Mark
Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing called "Deedee", Tokina 10-17,Nikkor 60mm, Nikkor 105mm, Sigma 17-70, Ikelite DS161

http://www.flickr.co...s/22898788@N04/

#5 haring

haring

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:23 PM

Thanks so much for your explanation! I have the Ikelite 160.