• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Weiry

Weiry

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with the knob and gears that turn the Canon7D rear "Quick Control Dial" in the Nauticam NA-7D?

Edited by Weiry, 18 October 2012 - 01:44 PM.

Canon 7D - Nauticam NA-7D - and all the other accessories that we love...

#2 JimSwims

JimSwims

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:57 AM

Just checking, have you removed both the Viewfinder Eye Cup and LCD Protector as they can cause alignment issues if left on.

Cheers,
Jim.

My photostream on Flickr My gallery on Redbubble

D90 in Nexus; 60mm, Woody's Diopter, 105mm, SubSee +5 & +10 magnifiers, 10-17mm, Kenko 1.4 TC, 10-24mm, 18-55mm & Inon Z240 strobes.

#3 Otara

Otara

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 03:08 AM

I havent had any issues with the rear wheel.

I have had the zoom knob become loose. It was slowly unscrewing, and as a result the main zoom gear wasnt working properly on the lens zoom gear and slipping. Just needed retightening and a bit of mild loctite. Did cause a small leak (no damage thanks to the leak detector!), so Id be careful using it underwater till you figure out whats going on.

Edited by Otara, 19 October 2012 - 03:09 AM.

#4 Weiry

Weiry

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

Just checking, have you removed both the Viewfinder Eye Cup and LCD Protector as they can cause alignment issues if left on.

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim, thanks... yeh the eye cup has been removed.
The adjustment of the gear lever that turns the 7D quick back dial is the prob. Often turning the dial clockwise but not anti clock wise... its temperamental.
cheers

#5 Weiry

Weiry

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:24 AM

I havent had any issues with the rear wheel.

I have had the zoom knob become loose. It was slowly unscrewing, and as a result the main zoom gear wasnt working properly on the lens zoom gear and slipping. Just needed retightening and a bit of mild loctite. Did cause a small leak (no damage thanks to the leak detector!), so Id be careful using it underwater till you figure out whats going on.

Thanks the prob is inside... the adjustment arm that turns the dial... not so much the external knob that turns.

#6 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

I have two NA-7Ds; the Mk1 and the Mk2. On the Mk1 I found that vibration loosened some hex screws as they were installed without loctite. Additionally I found that the length of some hex screws were a little 'shy' and needed longer threads to properly engage with the housing. When checking this on the Mk2 I found a similar potential issue. I recommend that all securing hex screws are checked for both appropriate length and security. This in no way detracts from my unreserved praise for Nauticams products which now extends to a NA-5D3 and NA-DP4.

HTH, Tim
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230

#7 fly&dive

fly&dive

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, golf, technical & cave diving. UW & topside fotography.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:17 PM

I have two NA-7Ds; the Mk1 and the Mk2. On the Mk1 I found that vibration loosened some hex screws as they were installed without loctite. Additionally I found that the length of some hex screws were a little 'shy' and needed longer threads to properly engage with the housing. When checking this on the Mk2 I found a similar potential issue. I recommend that all securing hex screws are checked for both appropriate length and security. This in no way detracts from my unreserved praise for Nauticams products which now extends to a NA-5D3 and NA-DP4.

HTH, Tim

Hi Tim, how do you tell if its a Mk. 1 or Mk. 2 housing? Got mine late 2010.

I've been using the NA-7D housing without any issues so far (knock on wood!). I've also never removed the camera viewfinder eye cup. There seems to be enough space in the back of the housing for this not to be an issue. On my previous SeaTool housing for a 500D this was definitely necessary as the housing was so much more compact. Hmm makes me wonder if I've just been fortunate up till now that this hasn't been an issue!

Canon EOS 7D for macro & Canon EOS 5D Mk. III for WAs, both in Nauticam housings
Canon 8-15mm FE, Canon 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 60mm & 100mm L macros
Sea & Sea YS-D1 & YS-110 alpha strobes
SubSee +5 & +10 diopters, Sola 600 focus lights, ULCS arms

#8 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:41 PM

On the Mk1 the housing back is closed with simple latches. On the Mk2 Nauticam added locking buttons.
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm

#9 Weiry

Weiry

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:19 AM

I recommend that all securing hex screws are checked for both appropriate length and security. This in no way detracts from my unreserved praise for Nauticams products which now extends to a NA-5D3 and NA-DP4.

HTH, Tim

Same I love the design of Nauticam housings, love my NA-7D housing... but spending that much money on a housing you would expect it to be a precision housing and that Nauticam would do some "quality assurance" and aim at satisfying their customers.
In my opinion the buyer of a Nauticam housing should not have to make "do it yourself" fixes on a "quality" housing. I have sent in my housing to Nauticam twice, once for a gear that was binding which was replaced and the second time nothing was done and i was asked to just tighten the screws myself and adjust it. I compared my housing with a fellow diver who has an NA-7D and found there were washers missing on the rear dial adjustment lever screws ... that were present on his housing but missing from mine!?

Edited by Weiry, 22 October 2012 - 03:18 AM.

#10 danielstassen

danielstassen

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Interests:Dive, dive, and dive again.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:07 AM

Nauticam has an amazing customer service support.

I'd suggest contacting your Nauticam dealer about your issue, I am sure they will find a solution.

Cheers,

Daniel
Daniel Stassen

Marine Biologist, Pearl Farmer, and photographer at heart...

My Blog: www.dstassen.com

My equipment: Canon 7D, Nauticam ND7, Nauticam 180 degree viewfinder, lenses (canon) 100 mm, 60 mm, 10-22 mm. Twin Inon Z240 strobes, 3 x Sea&Sea YS110 alpha.

#11 Alex_Tattersall

Alex_Tattersall

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:26 AM

When you return your housing to the dealer, it is important that you also supply them with your camera as individual tolerances in camera size are often what results in these issues.

I frequently have a housing which works well with the camera we have here in store but then requires some tweaking to work with the customer’s camera. This is of course where people benefit from purchasing locally with local support rather than grey importing to save a few $ on taxes.
www.flickr.com/photos/alextattersall

www.nauticamuk.com
www.uwvisions.com
Exclusive official importer of Nauticam products into the UK and Ireland

#12 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'll vouch for Alex's advice that there can be surprising differences in camera tolerance and sometimes housing setups need to be specific to a particular camera body. Whether this relates to 'greys' or not I don't know.

#13 Weiry

Weiry

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

Cheers guys, thanks for your replies.

Edited by Weiry, 22 October 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#14 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1046 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

Is it clicking and missing the wheel occasionally? 1 in 3 shutter speed clicks, or of photos during review, mine will jump. Started recently and got annoying on the dive today. I plan to open it up the day after tomorrow and fix it.

Edited by Scuba_SI, 23 October 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#15 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

Sometimes a very tiny move on the base plate is enough to get everything back into line.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#16 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Its very possible to add shims to the base plate securing hex bolts to tweak the orientation of the camera in relation to the control rods.

#17 Weiry

Weiry

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:03 PM

Is it clicking and missing the wheel occasionally? 1 in 3 shutter speed clicks, or of photos during review, mine will jump. Started recently and got annoying on the dive today. I plan to open it up the day after tomorrow and fix it.

Yes same dial turns clockwise okay but clicking when turned anti clockwise and not engaging with the back dial on the 7D. Some have mentioned tolerances in camera sizes some have mentioned tiny move on base plate. I have also adjusted the turn knob so it works perfectly on the surface but then under pressure @20m the dial clicks and does not engage again due to pressure pushing in on the '0' ring which changes the back dial lever distance/pressure. Good point Ross Gudgen suggested to me adjusting the lever with the '0' ring absent mimicking the housing under pressure. So many variables. Not a happy Nauticam camper.

Scuba_SI I forgot to mention when that happens, the shutter speed etc can still be adjusted by the front turn knob/top dial... which is what I have been doing to get by.

I will let you know when I get it right. I am not sending my housing away again being inconvenienced for weeks...I have dive holidays coming up in 5 weeks.

Edited by Weiry, 23 October 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#18 Weiry

Weiry

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

Sometimes a very tiny move on the base plate is enough to get everything back into line.

Alex

Thanks Alex.... I make sure the camera and base plate are sitting in the pin and pushed right in the same way every time I adjust. cheers

#19 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:38 PM

My Mk.1 NA-7D would have been one of early production and found that engaging the on /off and zoom / focus controls could be a little hit and miss. After spending some time tweaking, Alex T and I decided to swap the base plate which immediately resolved any problems. With hindsight I suggest you discuss a similar exchange with your dealer.

My Mk.1 NA-7D would have been one of early production and found that engaging the on /off and zoom / focus controls could be a little hit and miss. After spending some time tweaking, Alex T and I decided to swap the base plate which immediately resolved any problems. With hindsight I suggest you discuss a similar exchange with your dealer.

#20 Weiry

Weiry

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Just wanted to give shout out to Peter Mooney - Nauticam Australia. My NA7D housing has been serviced and the turn knob problem resolved. Peter Mooney sent me the back of his NA7D housing to use whilst mine was serviced. The turn knob gear mechanism was replaced and I used it all last week on dive holiday.... it works sweet as. So nice to have everything on the housing working smooth. Love the NA7D .... very happy Nauticam owner.