#1 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World, the sciences

Posted 18 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

So, when is someone going to get their hands on one and do a review?
When will the after market filters be available? Will the existing ones fit the new housings?
What is the bit rate available? 3D package options etc.
Please Wetpixel satisfy my surprising need for answers.
Alternatively ship one to me and I'll do a review...
Chars

Richard

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#2 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2837 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

I have already contacted them. Don't know when the distribution will start for reviewers but will keep up on it. I do know that the HERO2 was a big improvement over the original. That review was published here on Wetpixel and the FCP sites very recently.
Steve
www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
www.worldfilmsandtravel.com

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#3 Backscatter

Backscatter

Clownfish

• Industry
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hi Richard,

We are expecting to receive our first shipment of "White" and "Silver" GoPro Hero 3 cameras next week, and the "Black" version will apparently ship around mid November. Berkley White managed to get ahold of a Silver Hero 3 and just left for the Maldives where he will do some testing with it.

I'm not sure if the bitrates for the new Hero 3 cameras has been released yet, but the Silver and Black editions both feature the "Protune" codec which is 35Mbit on the Hero 2 via firmware upgrade, so probably at least that high on the new cameras. Perhaps the most exciting thing about the Hero 3 Black edition are its high frame rates, including 1080p/60p, and 720p/120p. This makes it a really interesting option for doing slow motion effects very inexpensively.

We are actively studying the Hero 3 and plan to adapt our Flip Magic Filter for it in the very near future. The front flat port of the housing is significantly smaller than on the GoPro Dive Housing for the Hero 2, so we will need to do a redesign. But we're happy to see GoPro embrace the underwater market by including a housing that can be used for diving right out of the box. Our plan is to show a prototype of the new filter at DEMA, and we're also discussing the possibility of having interchangeable filters for shallow, deep, and green water situations.

We will post something to our website, Facebook, and Twitter accounts as soon as we have something to announce. Thanks for your interest.

Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo
831-645-1082
www.backscatter.com
Contact Us!

#4 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:34 AM

The HD3 Black at highest resolution, probably 2.7K one at 30 fps is said to pump out 45 Mbps.
4K at 12fps does not count.

The video from GoPro is amazing. With semi manual WB setting and color correction filter, this baby can whack many 4/3, APS-C 1080p or DSLR 1080p for wide angle if we use the 2.7K and down to 1080p for final edit. Even 1080p 60p should be beautiful.
http://gopro.com/pro...n-hero3-cameras

So far what is available as demo video for underwater from GoPro,
Minutes 00:36 and 04:20 is very good. 04:20, I can't say anything but how lucky the video man is, having a whale spinning its body to welcome 3 girls is something no amount of money or practice or expertise can make this happen on demand.
04:40 the white water canoe guy looking at the sky, that is awesome dynamic range, same as 04:48 the two bikers.

A good one to compare HD2 vs HD3.
I like the photo kind of quality of its video when this camera stands still on a tripod at 01;22

The HD3 Black at such low cost, will change the way we do UW wide angle video. I can't wait to try HD3 Black.

Edited by SPP, 20 October 2012 - 02:36 AM.

#5 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:22 AM

Lovin the look of the 3 .., Got to take into account the post work on these tasters though ...

Dean
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#6 RWBrooks

RWBrooks

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:The Natural World, the sciences

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

Lovin the look of the 3 .., Got to take into account the post work on these tasters though ...

Dean

Yes of course the amount of work that has gone into producing these taster promos must have been on a colossal scale, much beyond a vast percentage of those that will buy it. Even so, it does show some cool techniques and mounting options. Through the wave barrel pov is very cool.
This cam is worth learning about because the market is gonna be flooded with people who buy it but don't know how to get the best out of it.

Chars

Richard

Richard Brooks
Media Producer
Federated States of Micronesia

Visit My Website(s)

#7 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:48 PM

I reckon I will get a couple, I actually quite fancy getting a little 3D setup with these bad boys.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#8 FanchGadjo

FanchGadjo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:36 AM

Our plan is to show a prototype of the new filter at DEMA, and we're also discussing the possibility of having interchangeable filters for shallow, deep, and green water situations.

This would be terrific ! I used the flip filter in the Mediterranean sea and it did great from 6 to 25 meters.
But in Normandy were water is green and luminosity can be low, it is not ideal.
Looking forward to hearing from your new product.

#9 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

I've used a Hero1 as a remote camera before to see what happens when divers are not around but I was pretty disappointed with the quality results. I'd heard the Hero2 was a huge step up but these specs are looking insane! 720p120?? I think I'll have to try it out!

#10 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

Through the wave barrel pov is very cool.

There were certainly some excellent sequences ... :)
Facebook me ;)

#11 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:38 AM

I cant wait to get my hands on a black edition. So far I have been quite impressed by the ProTune on the Hero2. I know Youtube crushes everything but here is a clip of my wife swimming 108m/354ft on one breath underwater in a indoor pool. Filmed using GoPro Hero2 with the new Protune .

Edited by MJvC, 23 October 2012 - 11:38 AM.

#12 SimonSpear

SimonSpear

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1378 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:17 AM

Just watched the Hero3 trailer. It looks super sharp at what I guess was 2.7k. Very nice indeed!

#13 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:42 AM

Just watched the Hero3 trailer. It looks super sharp at what I guess was 2.7k. Very nice indeed!

Probably shot on a RED then pushed through some fancy post house ;)
Facebook me ;)

#14 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Marc,
That swim is pretty insane!
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#15 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

Hi Guys,

HD3 Black is the TOTALLY NEW PLATFORM >>> Get this one
HD3 silver is HD2 in new body + free wifi
HD3 white is HD1 in new body + free wifi
All get new flat lens housing
All old mounts can be used

New Touchscreen LCD BacPac supposedly can work thru plastic door and only full function if used on HD3
This is one camera we must have. At US$400 camera with 180 feet housing, how more cheap can one go for 2.7k ?
Use VLC player or Apple Quick Time to playback 2.7k or 4K, many others do not work.

30 fps 2.7k Protune HD3 Black. Take the raw file 110 MB for 19 seconds footage. 45 mbps data rate. Actual size 2704 x 1440 pixel.

15 fps 4K. Use aTube Catcher and you can download the original at 355MB for 1:35 minutes. 30ish mbps . Actual size 3840 x 2160 pixel.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l94uZtXEI8

Enjoy..........

#16 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

15fps? ...

Still liking the rest of the specs though

Dean
Facebook me ;)

#17 MJvC

MJvC

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Marc,
That swim is pretty insane!

Yip That is what I keep telling her but that is what makes her happy. Still a little way off the S.A. record.

#18 ehanauer

ehanauer

Eagle Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Chicago Cubs baseball, Mac computers, swimming, Porsches

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

Marc, your wife made that look easy. Awesome.
Eric
www.ehanauer.com

#19 Don in Colorado

Don in Colorado

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

I will (soon) probably have the Hero 3 black camera for some snorkeling fun in the Caribbean. I was wondering if using a Magic filter (original style cut for inside the housing) would improve color quality for shallow depth. I will only be using it at snorkeling depth (1 to 3 feet).

#20 SPP

SPP

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:44 AM

If water is clear, Cabribbean will be clear I am sure right ?......... 3 feet depth you do not need color correction filter if light from the sun is good.
The other way to get better color is to have the subject close to you. So cruise slowly along the reef with HD3 tracking terrain like smart missile and it should do well.

When u want color correction filter, get URpro ones from SRP, they are the best. I am sure soon they will make one for HD3 by next year early. They just launched the GoPro Original Dive Housing filter called DOME, very sexy and great. I had the 1st generation 55mm URPro, I have BackScatter Flip Filter for GoPro Dive housing, I have the URPro DOME too...........but me market no HD3 yet, not so soon......sad.

Dive/Snorkle Safe yah.........